Balloon Belly Ram color shift

dakt0a

Reaction score
Hi! I have a small Balloon Belly Ram (Blue) and a larger Golden Balloon Ram. My smaller Ram, Baby, always shifts colors. He seems to get black spots that intensify at certain times. I was wondering if this is normal or not. I want to post a picture of both because the size different between them is large and maybe help sexing them? Thank you!
The first photo is both fish.
The second photo is Baby yesterday after a big tank rearrangement and water change. And the third photo is him today with the black spots less prominent.
I know I’ve read before that when they’re pale it’s due to stress but the tank has been established for a good 2 months now or more so I see him with a lot more color than I did when he wasn’t completely comfortable.

Attachments

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi dakt0a
It is normal for these fish to change colour many times in one day. It is a form of body language?
I think you might have two males?
As long as they are not physically fighting they are sorting themselves out by colour changes.
At the moment you have nothing to worry about with colour changes.

A less dominant male will not show as much colour/ be pale . This is his way of saying “you win” all the girls are yours I am no threat.

New Threads