Balancing Plants And Hardscape Question

1. r_e_g

r_e_g Valued Member Member

Thanks to everyone for your help so far. I've revamped my planting list to be very Echinodorus heavy and want to know if this is going to overwhelm my 40 gallon breeder. I really like the spider wood I purchased and don't want it getting overshadowed. I also want there to be room for the fish to swim. How many of each would you recommend? I've attached photos of the tank so far to help. I have a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CC, pool filter sand (to be supplemented with Easy Green liquid fertilizers and root tabs, plus probably extra iron), no CO2.

This is what I'm thinking:
    A: Ludwigia repens
    B: Kleiner bar sword
    C: Java fern 'trident'
    D. Rosette sword Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
    E. Echinodorus Hadi Red Pearl
    F: Echinodorus xinguensis

Or would you maybe put the big Kleiner bar sword (B) over in the upper left corner instead of the Ludwigia? I was thinking I wanted another main focal point over on the right but given that I want attention on the big high branches that are near the right, maybe I don't want a super showy plant right there. Maybe putting a lot of weight on the upper left and leaving the righthand side of the tank wouldn't be awful. The java fern would be okay being shaded.

Many thanks!
    Inkedtop view_LI 2.jpg

hardscape.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    r_e_g

Another question: Would it be harmful to the plants for them to spend a few days in a holding tank (set up with light and filter; I can add substrate if necessary) while I finish prepping this one?

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I would in fact reccomend swapping the ludwigia position with the larger swords.... ludwigia grows fast from my experiences and can over shadow the wood very easily... Likewise, the wood will help reduce the swords from completely dominating the tank and also bring balance to the tank....

The tropica is small, so I would definently start out with a few... as for the larger swords, I would suggest least than 2 each and just allow them to grow in. Any more, and they will just overshade eachother.

Plants also fine to be stored in a holding tank for a couple of days. They will be fine, as long theres light they will be all right. Plus its a good time to ensure no hitchhikers like algae and snails.

4. OP
    OP
    r_e_g

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it! I've never been so excited about plants in my life.