Bala with 1 very shiny scale?

1. RandyM Initiate Member

Brand new to this group, but have been lurking here for awhile now. Regarding my Bala Shark, I picked out the largest and nicest looking juvenile at my LFS several months ago. Upon purchase, it had one very shiny...mirror like scale on it's side, high up near the dorsal fin. The manager of the store said it would disappear when he grew. He's growing quite rapidly for a Bala, and seems very healthy...but still has this one 'super' shiny scale that glimmers, or twinkles when turning, reflecting the light. Does anyone know what this is that I am describing? My first thought was a missing scale, but I'm sure if anything, it would be dull in appearance, not brighter than the rest of the scales. Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well its certainly nothing to worry about :)
    I would think that it is just a shiny scale :) but im not sure lol.

Welcome to Fishlore :D

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello RandyM and Welcome to Fish Lore. I agree that I don't think you have anything to worry about especially if it's been like that for quiet some time. The scale could have been damaged a long time ago and it didn't grow back quiet right. Sometimes my Silver Dollars will have a shiny scale and it does disappear over time. Too, there could be a new scale growing under it forcing the shiney one to fall off. Kind of hard to say for certain.

I hope you can share some photos with us sometime. Enjoy the site!
    Ken

4. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore! i agree with the others that it's probably nothing to worry about :)

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

6. RandyM Initiate Member

I appreciate the warm welcomes, thank you. I didn't think this posed a health issue for this individual, I was just curious if anyone could put a name or like experience to it.
    Thanks again, and glad to be part of this community.