Bala Sharks

Discussion in 'Bala Shark, Silver Shark' started by Cee17, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Cee17

Cee17New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I purchased two bala sharks and currently have them in a 75g. I know that they grow a lot larger and am planning to eventually get a larger tank, thinking about 150 g. I was wondering how long I would have before I need to upgrade? I am not sure how fast their growth rate is. Thanks for the help!

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you don't have other fish in the tank, I'd say you have a 18 months to a couple of years to upgrade. They grow slowly so you've got some time. Just keep an eye on them and provide them with wide open space, a good filter, and some good water current. Keep a tight lid on your tank with no gaps wider than 1/2 inch. They can rocket right out of a space no wider than they are and can get caught in spaces that are not narrow enough if they manage to get their head through!
    You might think of getting 2 or 3 more and upgrading sooner though. They are shoaling fish and do better in groups of 5 or more.

3. OP
    OP
    Cee17

Cee17New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the help! I do have other fish in the tank, I was a little mislead at the pet store when I asked how many should be together. I was told 2 was fine, I have never owned any before. I do have other fish in the tank. I have one angelfish, 3 glolight tetra, 1 pictus catfish, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 giant danio and 4 zebra danio. I feel like the tank is probably at capacity. Would adding a third bala push the limits? The two I have now haven’t displayed any aggression, they get along with each other and swim around with the other fish.

4. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes, you probably should wait until you get the 150. The other fish are probably providing some distraction. When you get the 150 you could get 3 more sharks and 10 more giant danios, black background and substrate... they would look awesome in that! Just wishing out loud...

5. OP
    OP
    Cee17

Cee17New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Yes I would definitely love to get some more balas eventually! Thanks

Become a Fishlore Member