Bala Sharks

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Fishie24, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Fishie24Valued MemberMember

Im upgrading my tank for my bala sharks i dont know what size they need im getting mixed information
    75 -120 -150 which one do i need

I can easily do a 75 a 120 is pushing it
    150 i have no idea where that will fit
    I have 4 bala sharks and 2 loach fish
    Id like to get 2 more
    Red eye tetras an upside down catfish also known as mochokid catfish
    Lemon tetras 3 longfin zebradanios
    4 red swordtails beunos aires tetra
    5 longskirt tetras 3 turqoise rainbows 3 white mollies
    Thank you

2. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

From what I've heard, bala sharks shouldn't even be kept in a home aquarium. The only tanks I've heard of keeping balas in a group and enough room are custom tanks in the 500g range. They are BIG fish and they are fast. That's part of the problem is they need LOTS of space to swim and even 150g just are not enough space for them.

3. DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

You're looking at a 200 gallon tank minimum for a school of Bala Sharks.

To be honest, Bala Sharks shouldn't be kept in anything less than a 10 foot tank. They really aren't a fish to be kept in the home Aquarium.

4. Fishie24Valued MemberMember

I have a contact at adventure aquarium i could call to see if they could take them off my hands i heard they only get a foot and a half and thought one of those tank sizes would be appropriate thats a shame i wish petco and petsmart would tell people that i dont know what to do with these fish if the aquarium doesnt take them thank you

5. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Are the loach fish clown loaches? Both clown loaches and bala sharks get to about a foot long and need to be kept in groups of 6+. You would need 200 gallons+, really 300 gallons+ would be better for either. To keep both you would need a much bigger tank.

6. DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

That's a noble thing to do. I've had to rehome fish that are un-suitable for home Aquaria at public display Aquariums before, they are usually happy for the donation.

7. Fishie24Valued MemberMember

One more question would a 225 gallon work for the 4 balas and clown loaches i found one on ebay it will have to be shipped to me

8. fishandleValued MemberMember

If you could go up to a 240 gallon that would give you an 8ft long tank instead of the 6ft long 225. I would also make it 6 balas and 6 clown loaches which would totally stock the 240.

9. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

No, a 225 wouldn't work.

You have stocking issues outside of the balas and the clown loaches, if you'd like to discuss them.

10. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

If you can not re-home the fish, get the 225. Hopefully it is the long (72" vs tall at 60") in either case it is a huge improvement over what they have now. Re-homing fish that will be this large is hard. If a local aquarium will not take them, other hobbyists often will take them and while they say they have a 300 gallon, they really have a 75 gallon. Good luck.

11. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

I think it may be cheaper to have a custom tank built than to have such a large tank shipped...that is like shipping a fully assembled couch!

12. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

What happened to "120 is pushing it" and 150 would be tough to place, here you go thinking about a 225g tank?

13. fisshWell Known MemberMember

I've seen 4 balas in a 240 that were 12" to 14", they were happy and had been in the tank so long they liked like old men! They were in with 5 frontosa that ranged from 8" to 12" and a 9" flagtail prochilotus And every body in the tank looked good. If you plan on keeping them to full size' a minimum size tank would be a 200 gallon. If you do manage to get your clown loaches to 8" to 12" they are very saleable and go for lots of money. ( oh darn, that's had to take)

14. Fishie24Valued MemberMember

Im going to call adventure aquarium you know i think that they should set up awareness exhibits to teach people what these pet stores dont especially since some of these fish are endangered if the aquarium doesnt take the fish what do i do with themwho do i give them to they are in a 40 gallon and they are small now but they need to be moved now

I really like my clown loaches and balas but 200 gallon tanks and bigger after doing research they arent really for residential and my guess is a 240gallon they are more like indoor pools would i be right in thinking that with the size

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  15. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You can keep large tanks in houses, but they are more difficult to accommodate. I know someone with a 300 gal tank, but it's built into his wall. So I'd try to rehome him to an aquarium or to an LFS.

16. Fishie24Valued MemberMember

I read that clown loach fish can live in an 120 gallon aquarium is that true i have 2 i had 3 but 1 died a while ago i didnt replace him i knew my tank was too small so i figured i wait but id like to keep my clown loaches at least

17. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Nope, they get to 10-12" and need to be kept in groups of 6+ as they are schooling fish.

18. Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

Well done Fishie24 I am full of admiration for your attitude in trying to do the best for your fish.

It is disgraceful that companies are profiting from selling unsuitable fish.

Having read about Bala Sharks on MonsterFishKeepers I am sure they are not suitable for home aquaria. I urge you to read about them there.

They are a very fast fish which do not defend themselves but use their top speed to escape. They are skittish and often die trying to jump out of their tanks or hitting the sides when frightened.

Clown Loaches also get bigger and live longer than I knew when I bought them but are more easily accomodated though they need to be in groups. Mine are in a 110 US gallon 6' x 18" x 18" which is only just big enough, though considered overkill when I bought them 23 years ago. A tank 6' x 24" x 24" is recommended these days.

I wish customers could be warned of their potential size as they are on this poster (click on image for larger size, then click on "open in new window" symbol in top right corner in order to read the text on the poster). All the best.

Clown Loach warning poster.jpg

19. fisshWell Known MemberMember

The bala sharks I described were in a 240 were over 12 years old, and they were happy! Your have clown loaches in a 110, how old are they and how big are they? I'm finding just because you read it on the web, doesn't make it a fact!
    I have a small house, and had a couch and loveseat. I got rid of the loveseat and put a 360 gallon in it's place! Now I sit on my couch and watch the 360.

Attached Files:

20. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

That is epic. Man I wish I could do that. *cough* afford. I would LOVE to have a tank that size. Just about could go swimming in it. :D that's what I always loved about those monster tanks was to scrub them down you could literally swim with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice