Bala Sharks

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by jcheung2020, Aug 8, 2015.

1. jcheung2020New MemberMember

Ok so my bala sharks have gotten sick they have this red bloodish looking fins, and they've been staying at the bottom of the tank quite often now, Every once in a while they'll swim across or stay at the top but for the most part they hide under my giant rock cave. My Tiger Barbs have been pestering them by nipping them so I think that's one of the reasons why they stay down there, but I also think it's cause they're weak from being sick. I have treated them with PimaFix for 5 days now one of my sharks seems to be completely healed and he swims around frequently, but my other two still have really red looking pelvic fins. It's only on the pelvic fins too not on their body or dorsal. They're the ones who seem to stay under the rock most often. I had to take out my carbon from my filter so it doesn't filter out the medicine. At first I thought that the water my be getting bad because of that and so my sharks aren't getting better, but I got my water tested yesterday and everything is fine. Does anyone know what I should do? Should I stop the PimaFix treatment put a new filter in to get rid of any excess PimaFix and try a different medicine like Life Guard? Also I was wondering if I can go out and buy another bala shark because I think that if I raise the pack number the barbs are less likely to attack them. I have 6 Barbs by the way and 3 sharks. My only concern is that if I get a new shark then he'll get sick as well. So i'm in quite a predicament. Any help is welcome. Thanks.

2. biller

billerWell Known MemberMember

I don't know much about balas but it would help if you posted...
    Ammonia level?
    Nitrite level?
    Nitrate level?
    Tank size?

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    j

jcheung2020New MemberMember

Ammonia is at 0
    Nitrite is at 0
    Nitrate is at 10-15
    50gl

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. biller

What size are they?

5. OP
    OP
    j

jcheung2020New MemberMember

pretty small 3-4 inches

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Just wanted to chime in on something :). A 50 gallon is too small for Bala Sharks, they get like a foot long I believe, and they need to be in a school of 6+.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. biller

AquaticBrandon just said all I know of bala sharks. I heard they need at least 120g but I don't think that's big enough for balas.

8. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

If the tiger barbs are continuously pestering the sharks, I would remove them. It will be more difficult for them to heal if they are always under stress.

No, don't get any more sharks. You don't want to expose your already sick fish to anything an incoming fish might be carrying, or introducing new fish to an unhealthy tank. Also, AquaticBrandon is correct. The sharks need a much larger tank, as they get 12"+ and prefer to live in groups.

You can introduce carbon in the tank to negate the effects of the medication you used. I would do a partial water change as well, before starting another medication. I have had success with the Life Guard medication. Note that during the five days of treatment, you are not to do a water change. After the fifth day, you do a water change, and you can either stop medicating if the fish are healed, or you can do another five day stint if it is necessary.

9. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Bala sharks will need a 150g minimum.... they can get 14 inches and are a schooling fish as mentioned by Rogue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice