bala sharks swimming side by side? Question

1. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

my bala sharks recently swimming side by side like right next to each other(they swam together but not this close)sometimes bumping into each other stopping and facing opposite direction floating there twitching tail fins then swimming like they normally would... they are swimming right next to each other more often- is this fish love? aggression? space issues? ich? cuz they rub on each other sometimes(no rubbing on decor or visible ich spots thou...) or is this totally:;fru normal and i shouldn't get hopes up for eggs, or be worried.

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

It sounds like breeding behavior to me...

3. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

so if they do spawn what preps should i make :O
    :;banaman happy but don't wanna be disappointed

ahh... just read that they attain maturity at 9 inches... mine only like 4 inch

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

balas are schooling fish and all of it is normal behavoir..breeding balas in captivity, is slim to none....if they are in a 55g tank, its definately going to become a major issue as they grow, they can break the side of a tank very easily if they dont have room..they are horizontal swimmers and sometimes can be started where they crash into the walls and break them....

5. eiginh Well Known Member Member

Not to mention that they are great jumpers!

6. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

yes so i read-sorry for back to back posting was time pressing school and all...
    and just so you don't think im being cruel when they get larger i have an either 75 or 100 gal tank in basement for when they get large.. just for them. or will even that be too small for my balas?

7. eiginh Well Known Member Member

They should be at least in a minimum of 125 gallons and even more if you have a big school. Unless your 100 is really wide then maybe it can make up for it. These guys love horizontal space!

8. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

do they do well in outdoor heated ponds?....not that i have one... but i might ;)

9. eiginh Well Known Member Member

I don't think so b/c they are jumpers unless you are going to have a swamp or some sort of river lol...

10. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

lol okay thanks

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I dont think anyone thinks you are being cruel, just advising on how bala's are and as they mature , they can destroy a tank if its not big enough ....they are the best gentle giants ive ever had...awesome fish ....

how many are you planning for your 100g? (IMO, 75g is too small for a school of them )

12. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

only the two are going in it.

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

2 balas in a 100g tank by themselves, would be great :)

14. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

okey-dokey-artachokey!...(from little rascals:p )

15. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;laughing

the biggest issue is that once someone see's just the 2 fish in a 100g tank, they get bored with it and want to use it for more...if you truly want to keep them until they pass on, they should be the only fish in there ...they get massive...

16. eiginh Well Known Member Member

When she means massive, it's MASSIVE. 13-15 inches. If you can, try getting another one, they feel safer and startle less when they're in a bigger group.

17. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

more bala sharks... gunna need a freaking huge tank and a bigger wallet perhaps...
    as for getting bored... i don't think ide be bored with them... i mean people keep ONE oscar right? although they are more colorful,but they don't look like sharks ^.^

18. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

very true on the oscars....but they have more a bigger girth and not length..they arent total horizontal swimmers and they dont startle like balas..nor do they have to be in schools....its all about the love of the fish :) and if you think you can love your 2 for life, and not put anything else with them, your good to go...

19. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

yup.... time passes all to fast when you have something worth while, thanks for everything.

ACK!!! i think i've spotted a white spot on him.... or im going delirious over thinking that my tank is infected...

20. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

balas are notorious for getting all kinds of spots/scales missing/etc as they are spiratic skittish fish..if you have ANYTHING they could have banged themselves on or pointy things like driftwood and such, they can and will always have something going on ..especially with the size tank you have and the other fish in there...and the bigger they get, the more often it can happen :(

although im not saying its not ich, just be sure before being "delerious" thats all ;)