Bala sharks in a 75 gallon aquarium temporarily

Brendoboi

I am looking for some fish to go in my 75g and I was looking a bala sharks and it said the minimum was 125-150 gallons. Can I temporarily keep 3-4 juvenile bala sharks in a 75g for 4 months

BigManAquatics

Maybe. Not sure how fast they grow! The main thing to worry about is that so often people try to do this and life gets in the way, or something else, so it can be kind of a slippery slope.

Ouse

Welcome to Fishlore.

People usually expect smaller tanks to last years, however you’re right to say it’ll only work for some months. Exactly how long depends on how big the fish are when you get them.

The answer to your question is yes, that is, only if you are absolutely certain you can upgrade to a big enough tank after the four months. If you don’t think you can upgrade in time, do the right thing and avoid keeping these 30cm+ fish altogether.

kallililly1973

I wouldn’t I heard they belong in giant aquariums. I would find something more suitable for your 75

A201

Look at Rosy Barbs, Denison or Filament Barbs. All have the same elongated shape of a Bala but won't outgrow a 75 gal. All are much more colorful than Balas and will shoal.

Brendoboi

Welcome to Fishlore.

People usually expect smaller tanks to last years, however you’re right to say it’ll only work for some months. Exactly how long depends on how big the fish are when you get them.

The answer to your question is yes, that is, only if you are absolutely certain you can upgrade to a big enough tank after the four months. If you don’t think you can upgrade in time, do the right thing and avoid keeping these 30cm+ fish altogether.
Yes I will be upgrading to a 180 gallon

Ouse

Yes I will be upgrading to a 180 gallon
Why not wait until then before getting bala sharks?

Redshark1

180 is not nearly enough. They do not belong in home aquaria. There's a 17" one on monsterfishkeepers.com (do some research there). They are skittish and can easily bash into the glass and lid. Many people have lost them this way. They migrate and congregate to spawn in one place in the wild. This means they are vulnerable to over-exploitation so it's a good idea conservation-wise to avoid buying them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
natalia1468
  • Brendoboi
  • pH
Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views
Pb43