Bala Sharks Growth Rate

Cee17

New Member
Member
Messages
41
Hi, I purchased two bala sharks and currently have them in a 75g. I know that they grow a lot larger and am planning to eventually get a larger tank, thinking about 150 g. I was wondering how long I would have before I need to upgrade? I am not sure how fast their growth rate is. Thanks for the help!
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,008
Cee17 said:
Hi, I purchased two bala sharks and currently have them in a 75g. I know that they grow a lot larger and am planning to eventually get a larger tank, thinking about 150 g. I was wondering how long I would have before I need to upgrade? I am not sure how fast their growth rate is. Thanks for the help!
If you don't have other fish in the tank, I'd say you have a 18 months to a couple of years to upgrade. They grow slowly so you've got some time. Just keep an eye on them and provide them with wide open space, a good filter, and some good water current. Keep a tight lid on your tank with no gaps wider than 1/2 inch. They can rocket right out of a space no wider than they are and can get caught in spaces that are not narrow enough if they manage to get their head through!
You might think of getting 2 or 3 more and upgrading sooner though. They are shoaling fish and do better in groups of 5 or more.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
C

Cee17

New Member
Member
Messages
41
Momgoose56 said:
If you don't have other fish in the tank, I'd say you have a 18 months to a couple of years to upgrade. They grow slowly so you've got some time. Just keep an eye on them and provide them with wide open space, a good filter, and some good water current. Keep a tight lid on your tank with no gaps wider than 1/2 inch. They can rocket right out of a space no wider than they are and can get caught in spaces that are not narrow enough if they manage to get their head through!
You might think of getting 2 or 3 more and upgrading sooner though. They are shoaling fish and do better in groups of 5 or more.
Thanks for the help! I do have other fish in the tank, I was a little mislead at the pet store when I asked how many should be together. I was told 2 was fine, I have never owned any before. I do have other fish in the tank. I have one angelfish, 3 glolight tetra, 1 pictus catfish, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 giant danio and 4 zebra danio. I feel like the tank is probably at capacity. Would adding a third bala push the limits? The two I have now haven’t displayed any aggression, they get along with each other and swim around with the other fish.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,008
Cee17 said:
Thanks for the help! I do have other fish in the tank, I was a little mislead at the pet store when I asked how many should be together. I was told 2 was fine, I have never owned any before. I do have other fish in the tank. I have one angelfish, 3 glolight tetra, 1 pictus catfish, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 giant danio and 4 zebra danio. I feel like the tank is probably at capacity. Would adding a third bala push the limits? The two I have now haven’t displayed any aggression, they get along with each other and swim around with the other fish.
Yes, you probably should wait until you get the 150. The other fish are probably providing some distraction. When you get the 150 you could get 3 more sharks and 10 more giant danios, black background and substrate... they would look awesome in that! Just wishing out loud...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
C

Cee17

New Member
Member
Messages
41
Momgoose56 said:
Yes, you probably should wait until you get the 150. The other fish are probably providing some distraction. When you get the 150 you could get 3 more sharks and 10 more giant danios, black background and substrate... they would look awesome in that! Just wishing out loud...
Yes I would definitely love to get some more balas eventually! Thanks
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
70
Guests online
1,737
Total visitors
1,807

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom