Help Bala Shark

angiecart

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 90L tropical tank with 3 Bala sharks, a plec & several tetras, which have lived happily together for over 6 months now. I change the water by a third and 'hoover' the gravel once every 3 weeks. Temp is fine, filters seem to be fine. I noticed 2 of the sharks seemed to be spending alot of time together, then the smallest one developed a fully red dorsal fin and has since died, any ideas?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!

im sorry for the loss of your bala

whats your current readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? sounds like an ammonia issue as you have huge fish in a small tank...even as babies, they make allot of poo...

balas are totally schooling fish and gentle giants....they are also tank busters and your tank is in danger of them doing that as they grow they need at least 400l and even larger as full grown adults in a proper school ...3 or more makes them happy ....

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to Fishlore!
Not sure about the death, other than it sounds really odd. I just wanted to say that your balas are going to need a much bigger tank very soon. They get to be 36cm and need a 400l tank.
Good luck with you fish!

You beat me Shawnie

angiecart

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks to both of you! I did google the red fin symptom & it came back as possibly an ammonia problem, so I'm going to have to get a kit today, before I lose the other two.

When it's sorted, can I add new Balas without any territorial problems? Oh & looks like I'm looking for a bigger tank!!!! LOL

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would also do water changes weekly, rather than every 3 weeks for regular maintenance in a cycled tank. Keep monitoring the water quality, this has to be nailed first! It may take some time, but keep changing water regularly, this is key to keeping the fish safe.

If still cycling, it will take daily water changes until the parameters are Nitrites=0, Ammonia=0 & Nitrates=under 20.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom