Bala Shark?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bettaguy17, Mar 25, 2010.

1. B

Bettaguy17 Valued Member Member

As we all know, I am getting a new tank in april (36 Gallon) and before I go on with the question please note this:

MY past 2 days have not been very good at all and i am extreemly short tempred and annoyed (of course i wont show that on fishlroe ;D ) but i just want a yes or no with a simple explanation. Thank You

I have a few neon tetras right now and when i get the bigger tank i want some bala sharks, ive read in books and on the interent that they are extremely peaceful and i was wondering could i keep neon tetras with bala sharks.. AND: this is my 1 1/2 year of fish keeping, im not a biggener..

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

A 36 gallon is not big enough for bala sharks. They are very active swimmers and are easily spooked- in smaller tanks they may run into things and hurt themselves. They grow to over a foot long and prefer to be kept in groups, so IMO they would need a minimum of 6 foot, 125 gallon tank.

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

IMO the Neons would still represent food to the Balas as they are omnivours. So yes. I think the Neons would get eaten.

At the risk of getting you gumpy, 36gal is nowhere near big enough for Balas anyway.

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Excellent information above.

You're not alone wanting bala sharks, though:) I was hoping my 90g was big enough for them, but it's not.:(

Wouldn't it be nice if they were special order only? They're so tempting in the LFS when you see them so small and cute.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks guys :) Im not mad at you :) Can you let me know if the following fish will do good in a community set up with fish as small as the neon tetra (not all this in one tank, but just temperement wise) :
    Honey Gourami
    Kissing Gourami
    Pearl Gourami
    GIANT DANIO
    SCISORTAIL RASBORA

Will those be good to small fish given aqudate space? Thanks :)

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I would say no to the kissing gourami (they get huge) and no to the giant danios (I'm basing this on zippy personalities and the high speed of danios). Giant danios are supersized. I may be wrong on the danios, so please hang on for some more responses.

The other 3 look good, though, IMO.

7. harpua2002

Yes, no, yes, yes, yes. ;D

Giant danios would probably prefer to have more space, but it's doable.

8. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I think compatability wise Honey Gouramis, Pearl Gouramis, Giant Danios & Scissortails would all be ok with the Neons. The Neons might feel somewhat intimidated by the Giant Danios & the Scissortails though & not show thier best colours. Not sure that the tank would offer enough swimming space for Giant Danios or Scissortails. They are real speed demons & constantly on the move. Either one of the Gouramis would be fine though.

9. OP
    OP
    B

:D yay haha and can you awnser just 3 more questions for me?
    1. Why does it at my petsmart (probably gives it away) the sign say "Tropical Semiagressive" for the Pearl and Honey Gourami?
    2. Are these known fin nipping fish:

Silver Dollar ( I have some, but alone so i dont know)
    Angelfish (IF THEY GROW UP WITH THE FISH)
    Red Eye tetra (For me its in my community and i have no problem...)

3. Is the upside down catfish agressive?

10. harpua2002

1. Because it's Petsmart. :p
    2. yes, no but may eat neons, yes.
    3. Not that I am aware of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice