Bala Shark Requirements

MrWindley

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am very new to fish and aquariums, I recently came across a 55 gallon tank and decided to put it to use.

I started with 3 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank for about 9 months. once i got the aquarium, I transferred the goldfish into it.
After about a month I got 3 Oscars or potopoums (not sure of the name) bottom feeders, 1 koi silverish, 2 black goldfish, whom all died within a week of putting them in the tank. The goldfish became either stressed or sick with white spots, upside down floating, bloody fins and anus, gasping at the top for air. swimming with weakness.
I did a complete water change and tank cleaning. I also boiled the gravel rocks to remove any ammonia or buildup.

I recently purchased 2 baby bala sharks and I put them into my 55 gallon tank about 3 hours and a complete water change after they came from the store.
I also purchased 2 Iridescent sharks as well, after putting them in the tank the Iridescent sharks divided themselves and stayed on opposite sides of the tank just floating in one spot and hitting the glass. The Bala Sharks stayed together but in one spot on one side of the tank with 1 of the iridescent sharks.

I noticed some spots on one of the iridescent sharks and i put some stress zyme and metafix into the water, the fish continued to swim in the same spot and way for the next day or two before turning upside down floating and gasping slowly.

I would really like some help on maintaining a 55 gallon aquarium and taking care of fish. i would also like to start a community tropical fish aquarium. any help.
I was thinking of getting cherry barbs as i heard they were good starters for aquariums.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Germaine Windley said:
I am very new to fish and aquariums, I recently came across a 55 gallon tank and decided to put it to use. I started with 3 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank for about 9 months. once i got the aquarium, I transferred the goldfish into it. after about a month I got 3 Oscars or potopoums (not sure of the name) bottom feeders, 1 koi silverish, 2 black goldfish, whom all died within a week of putting them in the tank. The goldfish became either stressed or sick with white spots, upside down floating, bloody fins and ****, gasping at the top for air. swimming with weakness. I did a complete water change and tank cleaning. I also boiled the gravel rocks to remove any ammonia or buildup. I recently purchased 2 baby bala sharks and I put them into my 55 gallon tank about 3 hours and a complete water change after they came from the store. I also purchased 2 Iridescent sharks as well. after putting them in the tank the Iridescent sharks divided themselves and stayed on opposite sides of the tank just floating in one spot and hitting the glass. The Bala Sharks stayed together but in one spot on one side of the tank with 1 of the iridescent sharks. I noticed some spots on one of the iridescent sharks and i put some stress zyme and metafix into the water. the fish continued to swim in the same spot and way for the next day or two before turning upside down floating and gasping slowly. I would really like some help on maintaining a 55 gallon aquarium and taking care of fish. i would also like to start a community tropical fish aquarium. any help. i was thinking of getting cherry barbs as i heard they were good starters for aquariums.
You will need some serious stocking changes. But if you want help, you need to start your own thread rather than using someone else's thread.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really like the look of Bala Sharks so when I was deciding what fish to keep I did some research into them.

I quickly found many posts about them on monsterfishkeepers.com.

Many of the posts were from people who had failed with these fish.

This was not because their 1,000 gallon tanks were not big enough for the fish.

It was not because they could not grow these fish as people had them up to 17" in length.

The difficulties were because the speed and skittish nature of the fish resulted in the fish killing themselves.

The fish panic easily and in the wild use their great speed to escape danger. In the aquarium this results in them jumping out of the aquarium or bashing into the glass sides often with fatal results.

Many people have lost these fish in this way.

I have come to the conclusion that they really should not be sold for aquaria, especially as they are from one of the least sustainable fisheries in the wild. The fish are caught at a single location when they migrate to breed and so are endangered in the wild.

I invite you to read about them on monsterfishkeepers.com

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Use your favourite search engine and input "Bala Shark Monsterfishkeepers" and plenty of links will come up.

Its great reading info from other keepers and what they have experienced.

Its one thing liking the look of a fish and another learning what it is really like to keep and how satisfying it is to own.

But it sounds like you need to go back to basics and build your interest on some sturdy foundations of knowledge and experience. Then you'll be able to reap the rewards of fishkeeping.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom