Question Bala Shark Questions

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi! I have a few questions about Bala sharks. I know bala sharks get around 10-12 inches give or take a few and should be housed in groups of three. So could 3 bala sharks get along with 2 oscars, a Blood parrot and a flowerhorn (he is pretty peaceful, doesn't bother the others)? I want one but don't know if three could live with those fish. The tank size is going to be a 125 and I do water changes 4 times a week. (the oscar and stuff are in a 55 right now and I am upgrading them soon) Thanks

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! I have a few questions about Bala sharks. I know bala sharks get around 10-12 inches give or take a few and should be housed in groups of three. So could 3 bala sharks get along with 2 oscars, a Blood parrot and a flowerhorn (he is pretty peaceful, doesn't bother the others)? I want one but don't know if three could live with those fish. The tank size is going to be a 125 and I do water changes 4 times a week. (the oscar and stuff are in a 55 right now and I am upgrading them soon) Thanks
I would not suggest that stocking for a 125....3 full grown bala sharks would utilize that tank fully without the cichlids bothering them....I'd say two Oscar's a parrot and a flowerhorn would be topping it out

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used to have some bala sharks but it was like 20 years ago, but IMO the oscar would eat them, especially in a 55g

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, would they be okay in a 55 with mollys and guppys (I plan to make that 55 a community tank when the oscars move out).

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I personally wouldn't put a bala shark larger than six inches in anything smaller than a 100 gallon tank, 125 full grown.

Colleen B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with my balas too. I have 2 four inch ones in a 55g and I love them but I know I can't keep them so I'm looking for a suitable new owner to give them to. Unfortunately pet stores sell us bala sharks without telling us they're schooling fish and get absolutely massive.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm struggling with my balas too. I have 2 four inch ones in a 55g and I love them but I know I can't keep them so I'm looking for a suitable new owner to give them to. Unfortunately pet stores sell us bala sharks without telling us they're schooling fish and get absolutely massive.
It's too bad because they are so small and pretty when they are at the stores, I bet a ton of people buy them without knowing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom