Bala Shark having difficulty swimming

Rob22546

I noticed one of my bala sharks was having difficulty swimming upright about 5 day ago. I did a 40 percent water change in my 180 gallon tank. I fed only sweet peas to all of the fish in my tank for the past 4 days.

I noticed some improvement in the sick fish appearance and behavior but it is now staying mostly between the two powerheads on one end of the tank. What could possibly cause that behavior?

My 180 gallon aquarium has a Fluval FX6 Filter and 2 powerheads with 2 sponge filters. All of the filter intakes are on one end of the tank and all of the outputs are on the opposite end of the tank, giving the aquarium the river current effect.

Thanks in advance for all comments and advice.

Balashark1366

hey. its oxigent lack.

if it does it again and rol to the tale or side when swimming, then grab the fish and hold it while you carfuly move the fish slowly back and forward ind the water.

if the fish isent death, this wil work to help it. it a fish way of mouth to mouth metode.
my old one did it when water change becaurse of wery hard water. it wil help the fish.

you can do the same if it darts around the aquarium and bumbing in to stuff and get black out or dissy.
by the way, if itś bumbing in to the glas when darting trough the water, then its time to upgrade your aquarium, becaurse then its to small for the fish.

ohh and standing in a corner is typical bala whit a hedeck from bumbing in to stuff, then they dont eat for some days, dont worry, they are to food happy to starv to death ;D
ohh by the way, if itś bumbing in to stuff, its time to get a bigger/longer aquarium.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Welcome to fishlore! Could you please fill out the emergency template? Doing so will give us more info and give us a better idea of what’s happening

hey. its oxigent lack.

if it does it again and rol to the tale or side when swimming, then grab the fish and hold it while you carfuly move the fish slowly back and forward ind the water.

if the fish isent death, this wil work to help it. it a fish way of mouth to mouth metode.
my old one did it when water change becaurse of wery hard water. it wil help the fish.

you can do the same if it darts around the aquarium and bumbing in to stuff and get black out or dissy.
by the way, if itś bumbing in to the glas when darting trough the water, then its time to upgrade your aquarium, becaurse then its to small for the fish.

ohh and standing in a corner is typical bala whit a hedeck from bumbing in to stuff, then they dont eat for some days, dont worry, they are to food happy to starv to death ;D
ohh by the way, if itś bumbing in to stuff, its time to get a bigger/longer aquarium.
I would not do this. They should be regularly eating, so it’s not typical if they stop eating. Grabbing the fish can cause many more problems than it would solve.

Upvote 0

Balashark1366

if you want to save the bala shark, then you will...but its your own choice. grabbing the fish is some times nessesary. and no it only give problems if your hand is not clean. belive me you dont need to hold the fish fermlig, it will lay its belly on your fingers, so you dont have to grab on to the fish, only support its body, to to tre fingers under the belly and your thomp infront of the back fin, wery gently. so relax, you barly have to "hold" the fish. if you know what your doing anyway.
you dont sound like you have alot of experience whit bala sharks.. im a pretty newby whit bala sharks, i have only had them for about 17 years...and this is pretty basic knoglege....the non eating happit to.
but anyways, we all have defrent methods if its not right for you, well then its not right for you

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

if you want to save the bala shark, then you will...but its your own choice. grabbing the fish is some times nessesary. and no it only give problems if your hand is not clean. belive me you dont need to hold the fish fermlig, it will lay its belly on your fingers, so you dont have to grab on to the fish, only support its body, to to tre fingers under the belly and your thomp infront of the back fin, wery gently. so relax, you barly have to "hold" the fish. if you know what your doing anyway.
you dont sound like you have alot of experience whit bala sharks.. im a pretty newby whit bala sharks, i have only had them for about 17 years...and this is pretty basic knoglege....the non eating happit to.
but anyways, we all have defrent methods if its not right for you, well then its not right for you
Again, I would not hold the fish. It can remove their slime coat and also extremely stress out the fish, possibly to the point of death. Not eating is often a sign of stress or sickness, and should not be considered normal.

Upvote 0

CaptainSupport

Are the other sharks avoiding him? To my knowledge, Bala sharks are skittish fish. Skittish fish can injure themselves if they get startled, which could be a possibility. My rainbow shark jumped out of my tank once before and I stepped on him, which gave me a scare. He had trouble swimming for a few days and then was back to normal.
As others have said, fill out the emergency template and hopefully we will be able to help you out more.
Balashark1366 seems to be talking down/ talking nonsense to whoever doesn't have his/her "17 years experience". Please ignore him/her.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishPlanet
Replies
Views
ziyi1010
Replies
Views
Balamama
Replies