Bala Shark disease help

steenbergen

Reaction score
Hello, I own a 112 gallon full cycled aquarium and a week ago i added 8 juvenile angel fish and to date they look like they are doing just fine no signes of stress or disease. Then just three days ago i bought 6 balas and added them to the tank and they seem to be hiding alot and they have formed what i see as a little circle of white mucus or flim on there bodies. I am not sure what this is and if it will go away. So just today may 15 i rose the temp to around 86C to see if that would help. Now if you have any answers to way what this stuff is or how to get rid of it that would be great. I am not sure if this is because they are new and it will go away with time or not. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Steenbergen

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do either of these sound like what's wrong with your sharks?

Mouth or Body Fungus - White or gray patches resembling cotton, excess mucus.
OTC medication for fungus. Usually added to water, but may need direct application.

True Fungus (Saprolegnia) - White cotton-like patches on fins, body, or mouth.
OTC medication for fungus. Check for symptoms of other illnesses.

If it is a fungus, one of these products could help them clear it out:

https://novalek.com/kordon/rid_fungus/index.htm

steenbergen

Reaction score
thanks for the info, and yes i look at those websites, but a question i have is will the meds hurt my biological filtration and will it hurt my baby angels?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
steenbergen said:
thanks for the info, and yes i look at those websites, but a question i have is will the meds hurt my biological filtration and will it hurt my baby angels?
I think the only one that won't hurt the good bacteria is the Rid-Fungus. It's one of Novalek/Kordon's organic meds - we bought their Ich-Attack because of it not affecting the cycled tank and being safe for any fish, even scaleless fish or fry. We're trying to go easy on the harsh stuff when we can and are fans of using these new organic fish meds whenever possible and saving the strong meds for when they're really needed and given in a hospital tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom