Bala Shark and Angel Fish 50 Gallon Tank

1. erin3270 Initiate Member

:;dolphin I am wanting to add 2 Angel fish with my 3 Bala Sharks in my 46 gallon tank. At the moment that is all I have in there. They are less then and inch. Oh, and can they eat Tropical Crisps?

Are they capatable tank mates?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore, Erin. :)

I'm sure you already know, but bala sharks are not suitable for a 46 gallon in the long run. You'll need to have plans to rehome them - they grow fast, need a lot of swim space, and are actually known to break tanks, heater, etc.

I also see that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. My signature has a link for it. Please read it if you get a chance, as it is very important to a healthy tank.

I am not positive about the angel/bala compatibility, but I think they probably are not. Someone else should be by soon with a more confident answer. :)

I hope you had a nice Christmas.

3. Jake the Fish Member Member

4. erin3270 Initiate Member

Meenu

I plan on moving up to a 125 gallon asap as my aunt is moving and can not take it. They better be fine in that LOL. I have cycled my tank exactly 23 days and 6 minutes, but hey, whos counting down(before I put my balas in there).Is the oxygen cycling the same thing as the regular cycling? I also had 3 danios in there as it was cycling, I've heard they help out alot! Please fill me in on somehting you think I dont know, because I probably dont! Thanks so much! I had a great Christmas I hope you had an even better one!

5. Hypnox Member Member

I have a pair of angels living with 3 balas for nearly a year now with no issues. The angels were introduced after the balas were.

I would also like to note that a 46 gallon is not big enough for a bala shark, a fish that will grow nearly 1 foot long at maturity. I have a 75 gallon I keep them in and that is still too small for this type of fish.

I do have plans to get at least a 5 foot long tank in the next year to re-home them in. This size tank, while manageable for them, is likely still cramped and I will be looking to get a larger tank to put them in after that.

Edit: It is good to see you are going to be upgrading the system they will be living in. :)

6. erin3270 Initiate Member

I am going to move up to 125 gallons asap as said in the other post. =)

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Erin, I suggest that in your aquarium info, you add that you are upgrading to a 125 - it'll keep almost everyone who responds to you telling you the same thing. lol...

The nitrogen cycle is basically this:
    Your tank has ammonia from the waste the fish produce. The beneficial bacteria living on the surface of your gravel and filter media eats the ammonia, changing it to nitrite. Another beneficial bacteria converts that into nitrates.

Any amount of ammonia or nitrites can be lethal to fish. A small amount of nitrates are fine (5-20). Once your tank is cycled, it means you have enough benefical bacteria growing to eat all the ammonia and nitrites, making your tank a healthy place to live. Your readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates.

You should have a good quality liquid test kit on hand to see if your tank is cycled for sure. It's not possible to know if it is without testing the water. API master test kit is the one most recommended on this site. Test strips are not accurate, so I wouldn't waste money on them.

For your new 125, there are things you can do to cycle it before adding new fish. You should definitely consider not adding any new ones until the cycle is well-established. I know you used danios before, but cycling is hard on fish. Ammonia can burn their gills, cause organ damage, and shorten their lives or kill them.

I hope this information helps. :)
    When do you get the new tank, is it currently running, and does it come with fish?