Bala Constantly Glass Surfing

nikm128

To keep it short, his buddy died about 6 months ago, and he's be acting up ever since. I've gotten some smaller ones since they need groups, but he barely seems to notice them and is always surfing with his reflection on the glass. He and his buddy were in the 5-7" range when the smaller of the two died, he is now coming up on 9-10" while the newer ones are still ~4". Is there anything I can do to help? It's so sad to see him still missing his friend like this. Do you think he'll settle down as the others get bigger?

A201

I bet your Bala will settle down soon. I've solved the glass surfing problem in the past simply by dimming the lights.
Never had a fish glass surf himself to death, Lol. Things will work out.

nikm128

Yeah, but he's been doing it for the entire 6 months since the other one died. That can't be coincidence right?

A201

Does he eat and does he glass surf at night?

nikm128

Does he eat and does he glass surf at night?
Still eats, I don't think he eats as much as he used to though. It's pretty much constant surfing, the only time he doesn't do it is when he's eating or decides to go surf the opposite side and swims across the tank. He might stop when he eventually falls asleep, but that happens even after I go to bed

A201

Might try putting the Bala in an XL mesh breeder box and hang it inside the tank. Make sure the box is positioned where the filter current flows through it. Maybe eliminating the ability to glass surf for a few days will fix him.

nikm128

That could work, is an XL net going to be big enough though? I don't think I've eve seen one 10" long

A201

I'm not sure of the available sizes, but you could make a big one by poking a lot of holes in a rubbermaid food storage container. Petsmart sells plastic critter containers that are big enough to hold the Bala and already have aeration holes.

Kwig

How big is the tank? Have you tried to wrap the sides and back in a background to see if he only does it on the reflective side?

nikm128

How big is the tank? Have you tried to wrap the sides and back in a background to see if he only does it on the reflective side?
It's about 180g, built it myself. 6'Lx30"Wx20"H
That was my next idea, working on that, then I'll try A201 's idea

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mlydeen
Replies
Views
fallfever
  • Question
Replies
Views