Baking Soda Help

1. PorcupinePuffer Member Member

i heard u can raise the ph of water by adding baking soda?

Can you, and how much would u need?

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Technically speaking yes, it works. But i wouldnt reccomend it as it drops the pH tremendously fast and can casue your fish to die from pH shock...

3. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

No, I will not recommend it. You can get Ph bounce

Once you modify your water parameters you will be stuck with doing that forever....ready for the commitment?

What is your current Ph? Why do you want to change it?

use PH UP follow the instructions, mix some to your tap water in a bucket, a little at a time..and take readings to get where you want the Ph to be.....let it sit 24 hours and then confirm to same reading. If good then do that at your water changes..and Check the tank frequently!!!!

4. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I have to respectfully disagree. There are other ways you can move your pH... Driftwood will lower it and keep it low, while crushed coral will raise it and keep it high :;dk

5. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

There are many ways to move your Ph around.
    yes coral too. Then must do less amounts at water changes or you will end up fluctuating the Ph too much..depending on the amount of water you change.

None of the natural ways (rocks, coral, shells, driftwood depending on which way you want to go with the Ph.) are fast acting (they leach it into the water slowly)...which is good...until water change time...then it all has to start over. Fortunately she wants to raise her Ph and will lessen the chance of Ph bounce or shock.
    Anyway you do it, it must be done slowly for the fish and must always be monitored because you will be adding tap water back to your tank, and then its best to pre-adjust it before adding.

6. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, it cant be done fast, it takes time for the fish to get used to the pH..

Whys do you want to change it though? Most fish get acclimated to it :;dk

My pH is of 8.6 and my fish got used to it :;dk

7. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

In my case I lowered mine 8.2 to 6.4 range for the fish I had... to spawn...yes they can acclimate various ranges but I believe they are at their best closer to their natural enviroments. Some dwarf cichlids are unable to produce spawn til the Ph is below 6.0 and soft water.

I use RO water and can set the PH wherever i want it using tap water.

For a community tank, yes, most fish can acclimate....but for special needs...there are hard ways to do it, and easy ways....none are fun, it must always be done to keep your tank/tanks stable.
    Driftwood....good example to help acidify and lower Ph, does it slowly....when all tannins are leached out..it becomes less and less stable. The natural additives are wonderful as buffers. Ph Up, Ph down and Discus Buffer are not truly evil (not toxic to fish etc.)...they are just way fast acting and must be monitored closely and in the long run cost more than an RO maker!!
    You will always see on this forum that changing water parameters is not recommended...only do so for special needs or sensitive species.

Sorry Porcupinepuffer,...this discussion may have helped you....but what do you want to cange your Ph to....from what to what?? Your tank info shows a good range in your tanks.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member