bait minnows

1. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

im going fishing tomorrow and we never end up using all of the minnows we use for bait so how big of a tank would these need? i wanna keep a couple with my crayfish.

2. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I have some Bluntnose minnows in a 20 long and they seem to be fine.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I've kept them in a 55g :) Some of the are really pretty given clean water and good food.
    carol

4. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

ok cool, but ive heard some can get up to 12 inches. we are talking about the minnows from a bait shop that come in a bucket with blue water right? that blue water wouldnt stick on its scales and hurt my crayfish if it ate it would it? how many should i keep in a 29 gallon? do they like schools?

5. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

It all depends what species they are. There are hundreds of species of minnows.

I do know that they like schools. How big are they now? I'd say you could probably keep between 6 and 10 depending on how big they are.

I don't know about the whole blue water thing. I caught mine right out of my creek.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The blue water doesn't stick to them like some thing thick. It is probably methylene blue. It's used to prevent disease.It's still not wise to put somebody elses water into your tank.I have a small bucket I use to acclimate fish to my water. I put the fish and water into the bucket then add a cup or two of my water into the bucket every 30 minutes for about two hours then pour the water and fish through a net and add the fish to my tank. Using this method you get next to none of the stores water in your tank.My minnows came from the bait shop and had a blue stripe down their side. After they got about 4 inches my husband used them for bait LOLCarol

7. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

ok awesome. those are the minnows i have i think. will they be ok in a 29 gallon? i ended up with 7. itd be those 7 with the crayfish and id have an aquaclear 70 on the tank.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What species?

9. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i dont know the species.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

?

11. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i dont know what they are i just know they look how she described.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Like a bluntnose minnow?

13. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i dont think so. it might be. what other species are there?

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

LOTS :)

Also, "minnow" as it pertains to fishing includes species outside the minnow family.

15. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

they look like this
    1397276.jpg

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like an emerald shiner.

17. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

will 7 be ok in a 29? assuming they all live.

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The "minnows" I'm used to catching actually grow up into Tilapia LOL

Those are cool :) Gotta love 'bait' fish ;)

19. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Shiners, shad, glass minnows and so on. If you want to know what you got, look up the bait fish used in your area/state. The bait you buy should be local if your using it local.

20. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i looked it up, but didnt find anything that listed what was used. i think they're emerald shiners though.