Bagged Fish Question

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

So I wasn't really sure where to put this post so moderators feel free to move to the place that would be better suited.

I'm looking to hear from either people that Ship fish, people that buy fish online, ect.

So more or less I would like to find more information about bagging fish.

The bags that they put your fish in at LFS to transport home is that similar to what they use to pack and ship fish online?

In a nut shell I had a post earlier about 6 panda cories that had been sitting in a bag for well over 12 hours before I transported them home. The water smelled horrible. I not surprisingly lost 1 of the 6.

When calling the LFS they justified their mistake and said that fish can stay bagged like that for 24-48 hours. Is this true?? Im talking plastic bag with a rubberband...?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

When I buy fish, I save the bags and reuse them for when I ship. The difference between buying from a store and buying fish that are being shipped to you is that the fish you buy on line are fasted for several days to ensure the water in the bag does not get disgusting while they're stuck in it. Fish in stores are fed daily.

3. renthus Well Known Member Member

Personally, when I need to move my fish (400 miles, 7 hour train trip 6 times per year), I fast them for two days in advance, then bag them the morning of the move. I put them in Kordon breather bags with no air, except for the frogs, bettas, and gourami who all get 50% pure oxygen. Twist the top of the bag so it's tight and tie the knot low. Boom, perfect.

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

Well I know it can be done! I just have a really strong feeling they didn't do it correctly.
    [​IMG]
    I asked why they weren't put in a tank Saturday afternoon when they arrived. The worker replied 'I had the day off!'
    Then proceeded to say that Sunday she was going to release them but heard I planned on picking up, so they were left in the bag. Just want to add that this store doesn't open till 12pm on Sundays. Thats a picture of them above, you can see all the waste and I know they weren't fasted. It was like they made it a spur of the moment sale and it didn't have to be!