Baffling A Aquaclear 20

1. Fredbetta86

Fredbetta86 Well Known Member Member

I'm trying to think of some ways to baffle my Aquaclear 20. I have a water bottle that's baffling it right now but it still causes a significant amount of current even with it baffled. Does anyone have any ideas on anything I can make or buy to fix this issue?

2. kuhlkid

kuhlkid Valued Member Member

Could you cut some filter sponge to fit over the waterfall?

3. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

I've seen people hang a small loofa from it and works well. Like the ones you would use for body wash in the shower. A new one of course;)

4. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

How diy are you? And how far from the water is the filter? Raise the water close to the discharge. You can put a strip of sponge on the lip discharging the filter and curve the water bottle so the top is below the surface... maybe.

If you're really handy you can make a French drain type trough that runs the length of your tank with some holes in it just at the height of your water level.

5. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

I do have some extra filter sponge, how exactly do I place it so it baffles it? Thank you for your help.

6. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Like put the loofa where the water comes out kinda?

7. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

I mean I'm ok at DIY.. those are some good ideas. I wonder if there is any youtube videos about what your describing because it sounds like a good way to do it.

8. kuhlkid

kuhlkid Valued Member Member

The quick and dirty way would be to cut a strip of sponge as wide as the output, where the water falls back down and out, and affix it there. Two little dots of cyanoacrylate on the side walls might do the trick! Anyone else have advice on this method? I've never had to baffle such a large filter.

9. W

I'd use clear aquarium safe silicone. If it doesn't work out it's easier to get off than super glue.

10. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Yep. Just hang it there. I ended up getting a sponge filter and tied a knot in the tube to slow the flow for my Betta.

11. dartzy

dartzy Valued Member Member

Following..as I will be purchasing the AquaClear 70 soon. Worried about too much flow for m tanks as well. Any pictures of your ideas? That would be helpful

12. W

I don't have pictures as I moved and I'm just now setting up my 65. I have the 110 and I doubt I'll have this issue but if I do I'll just raise my water level.