Badly needed help with my flowerhorn!

Khamz

Hi guys! I'm a newbie owner of a flowerhorn here. Got him last 2021. And now I'm worried sick because it's been three days since he last ate and he's been swimming weirdly too. I also noticed today he has a white spot on his eye. 3 days ago, he's so active, energetic and no white spot at all on his eye. Attached are the pics. Please help me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220419_181624.jpg
    IMG_20220419_181624.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220419_181546.jpg
    IMG_20220419_181546.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220419_181517.jpg
    IMG_20220419_181517.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220419_181512.jpg
    IMG_20220419_181512.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220419-183628.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-183628.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 13

fyrefish

Welcome. What seems to be wrong with the flowerhorn? I'm no expert on fish disease, but knowing what is wrong is very helpful. Also, is your tank cycled? A lot of new fishkeepers can be mislead when starting. How long has the tank been set up? Pictures would also be useful.

Khamz

Hi! Sorry that I didn't put any infos. I put it in another thread. Anyway, its been three days since he last ate, swimming weirdly and he has a white spot on his eye. I just noticed the white spot today. I have no idea if he had it yesterday. I think I set up the tank around June 2021. And what do you mean by tank cycles?

Attachments

• IMG_20220419_181512.jpg
    IMG_20220419_181512.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220419_181517.jpg
    IMG_20220419_181517.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220419_181546.jpg
    IMG_20220419_181546.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220419_181624.jpg
    IMG_20220419_181624.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220419-183628.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-183628.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 5

SparkyJones

You can look through this section for flowerhorns and see what's there. I don't keep them but whoever has posted there most likely has and been down the road you are on.
Flowerhorn Cichlid Forum
Might be useful information in there for you

Khamz

You can look through this section for flowerhorns and see what's there. I don't keep them but whoever has posted there most likely has and been down the road you are on.
Flowerhorn Cichlid Forum
Might be useful information in there for you
Thank you so much!! Really appreciated this

SparkyJones

Thank you so much!! Really appreciated this
I wish I knew more to help you. can you test the water Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates? frequency of water changes? pH?
I'm nowhere near an expert. just guessing based on pictures and what I do know.

Most of the information on Flowerhorns is done in Hindi, I think because they keep them for good luck and stuff and they have the most knowledge/information on keeping them , but anyways, the cloudy eye is likely a bacterial infection, I'd suspect the water isn't as clean as it could be kept. water changes could help it might need an antibiotic to completely clear up if it's been there a while.

Now what I see with your fish, the stomach isn't as full and rounded as it should be, kind of sunken in. When I say full and rounded, don't mean "bloated" and swollen, just it seems flat and concaving.

Dio you deworm him? I see a lot of people recommend deworming once a month, not only for parasites but also so they empty their intestinal tract which seems to keep them eating and unbound.
The recommendation I got was "All breeds of Flower horn fish requires deworming. All undigested food and multiplying parasites or bacteria which are pathogenic will get removed by deworming process. Irrespective of type of variety, all flower horn breed needs deworming at least once in a month. to keep them healthy and eating and active."

it was explained to me that they all have digestive issues to some extent that appear as they age. they get constipated, or can't move their bladder or bowels (this is what causes bloating or stomach swelling) and all fish have some levels of bacteria or parasite in their intestines, which doesn't usually affect them, but stress or another health issue can cause a cascade of problems with a flowerhorn. the bacteria or parasite gets out of wack and they get backed up and stop acting right and stop eating because they don't feel good.

I'm no expert but it's recommended to deworm once a month. this sounds extreme to me, maybe 2-4x a year would be fine but you'd need to get used to the behavior of the fish and know whenit's having troubles.

The videos are really hard to understand, because again, most of the expert keepers are hindi. but here you go, and keep searching for more videos on it if you can't make sense, even in english the hindi speakers are hard to understand because of their cadence.

from what I've seen of flowerhorns, your guy looks skinny, might be a long body FH, I don't know..... Is that normal or is he thin? if so that didn't happen in just a few days. maybe a few days since he lost his appetite though.

Frank the Fish guy

Your fish appears to be trying to breath from the surface which may indicate water with low oxygen.

Khamz

Your fish appears to be trying to breath from the surface which may indicate water with low oxygen.
Does it mean that I need to replace my oxygen?

WRWAquarium

Have you got surface water agitation from your filter outlet or an air pump running?

dallypotter

That white spot does look a little worrying. Maybe get it checked at the vet or ask the fish pet shop guy for advice on what to do with it?

Kellye8498

And what do you mean by tank cycles?
Let’s start here. It you click here: cycle you will get all of the info you need to start making sure you are cycled. I would imagine that the tank would be cycled after this much time but if you’re just tossing filter cartridges or bio media into the trash when cleaning the filter as most instructions unfortunately tell you to do or over cleaning your tank this could be part of the issue. You could be throwing your beneficial bacteria into the garbage and starting over every time if you’re doing this. You definitely want to understand the nitrogen cycle and you want to be testing the tank before water changes at the minimum to make sure the water in the tank is a safe place for this little guy to live in. Very important part of fish keeping.

I can’t help much with the eye as I’m not sure what that could be. Is there anything in the tank that he could have damaged the eye on?

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom