Badly Bloated Betta!

1. WildJuniper

WildJuniper Valued Member Member

My male betta has been bloated for about five days now. He recently recovered from fin rot and ich, but is now all cured and back in the community tank. I was so happy that he was healthy again but then I noticed that he was very bloated a few days later - Hes only bloated in his stomach area and looks like he is pregnant, no full body swelling or pine-coning so I don't think its dropsy.

I only feed him once a day with Aqua One betta pellets, they're really tiny almost like dust so I don't really count how many little specs I give him (Today I just bought some new, better quality food which I can actually count how much I'm giving him) however I think the problem might be that he is the piggest betta ever - he will eat his pellets, then start to eat my harlequin rasboras flake food and even eat my snail and plecos algae wafer/s, I really don't know how to stop/discourage him..

I have fasted him for about three days now with little to no improvement (Have been cupping him while I feed my other fish, however today I notice he took a few bites of algae wafer :/ ) I also fed him a pea before I started the fasting and gave him an Epson salt bath.

I don't really know what to do now, I really want him to get better quickly as he's really worrying me. He still has an appetite and is quite active, his fins are even growing back from the fin rot (Yay!)

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. OP
    OP
    WildJuniper

He's still bloated. I have put him in a 5 liter container floating in my big aquarium so I can make sure he doesn't eat any of the other fishes food and so can see if he poops or not.

So far hes done one very small poop but it didn't improve his bloating. I fasted him for another 4 days but still nothing.

Don't know what to do now..

4. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

HI! Sorry it's taking so long for people to answer. try feeding him pea a day and just watch him. If he is not pooping more by then, you might have to look into something else beside just a bloat.

Can you post a picture? Is there anything sticking out of his... o_O XD

5. OP
    OP
    WildJuniper

Thank you, I'll start to feed him some more peas.
    I can't really get a good picture but I'll try to get one later if I can.
    I just had a quick look and now that you mention it it does look like these might be something white near there?

6. OP
    OP
    WildJuniper

7. mg13

he's defiantly bloated but I'm wondering if it's from an internal parasite. @flowing fins? Sorry to keep tagging you XD

What type are you useing to take the pictures?

@flowing fins? Sorry to keep tagging you XD

8. octavio

octavio Valued Member Member

Isolate him and add some dissolved epsom salts gradually to his water.About 1 tbs per gallon is the rule ofthum. Then do partial water changes every day for a week to 10 days. The epsom salts work as a mild laxative. Of course, when I say isolate him I mean put him in his own container. I use a 2.5 gallon tank for Bettas who show distress. A big round glass bowl (globe type) works well, too. Hope this helps. Good luck.

9. OP
    OP
    WildJuniper

Just a phone hahah mg13

Hes already isolated but I will add the Epson salts as I already have some on hand. should i add the salts every time I change the water? octavio

10. OP
    OP
    WildJuniper

So, I have been giving him Epson salt baths, fasting him and feeding him peas but he still hasn't improved nor has he gotten any worse. Still quite active and has an appetite, he has done maybe two poops in the last 2 weeks or so.

11. mg13

hmm, maybe post another picture or two?