Bad stocking for 20 gallon?

Analisemcg

So this is just a possibility, but I may have convinced my dad to get a 20 gal to replace my 10. In the 10 I have,
2 harlequin rasboras
2 lambchop rasboras
1 betta
I know the stocking is weird, It was my first tank and I did not do proper research. But, would this work for the 20?

5 harlequin rasboras
5 lambchop rasboras
1 betta

I have only ever stocked nano tanks, so a “larger” tank like this is new territory. Is that overstocked? Still have room for more stocking? I don’t want to return any fish, they have been in this setup since January and despite their weird group they are all very colorful and active so I feel like returning them would be more stress. Thank you!

(20 gallon tall to be clear, don’t have room for a long :( )

FishIord

Yes you are actually doing your fish a favor. The harlequins are schooling fish so they will feel much more comfortable with 5 vs 2.

Qzar61

5 and 5 sound good and the betta is a nice centerpiece. If everyone is happy, a couple of snails (non evasive) might work.

Revan

As long as your betta isn't too aggressive, I don't see a problem. Also, I'm fairly certain a 20 gallon still is considered a nano tank, since you don't put fish like angel fish in there.

Chewbacca773

As long as your betta isn't too aggressive, I don't see a problem. Also, I'm fairly certain a 20 gallon still is considered a nano tank, since you don't put fish like angel fish in there.
since they lived with the rasboras before, I don't see a problem. But he is right, make sure your betta won't feel threatened or anything by the rasboras because bettas really are all different in that way.

Analisemcg

since they lived with the rasboras before, I don't see a problem. But he is right, make sure your betta won't feel threatened or anything by the rasboras because bettas really are all different in that way.
She’s a very non aggressive betta, at least to other fish. If she does react badly though I’ll use the ten gallon for her.

Chewbacca773

She’s a very non aggressive betta, at least to other fish. If she does react badly though I’ll use the ten gallon for her.
Sounds like you have a good backup plan, I think you are totally clear to go through with your plan. Just make sure you transfer as many things from the old tank to the new tank as you can (filter media, hardscape, plants, etc.) to transfer as much beneficial bacteria as possible :D

Noroomforshoe

Your plan sounds great, good luck!

Katie13

Technically an Angel in a 20H is feasible and is common among breeders, but it isn’t recommended for the average hobbyist. A 29g is the definitely the preferred minimum. Stocking wise, I would do
6 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Lambchop Rasboras
1 Betta

Revan

Stocking wise, I would do
6 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Lambchop Rasboras
1 Betta
Yeah, I agree. I’d even say 7 of each rasboras.

kallililly1973

I would leave your betta in the 10 and do 8 of each and add a trip of honey Gourami. Just my.02

Analisemcg

I’ll probably do 7 of each.. is there any room in the stocking for any species of bottom dwelling fish? If it is getting into overstocked territory I don’t want to risk it, just think owning some would be cool :)

Katie13

I’ll probably do 7 of each.. is there any room in the stocking for any species of bottom dwelling fish? If it is getting into overstocked territory I don’t want to risk it, just think owning some would be cool :)
IMO 6 of each would be the absolute max. Definitely no room for anything else.

kallililly1973

leave the betta and lambchop in the ten up your harleys to 6-8 get 6-8 smaller cories like greens or albinos and get a few honey gourami.as long as you have decent filtration and a good WC regime you will be fine. 50-75% weekly is always my recommendation.

Analisemcg

leave the betta and lambchop in the ten up your harleys to 6-8 get 6-8 smaller cories like greens or albinos and get a few honey gourami.as long as you have decent filtration and a good WC regime you will be fine. 50-75% weekly is always my recommendation.
I wish I could, but part of the deal is that it replaces the 10 gallon (excluding emergency things like aggressive fish), so I will go without the cories and save that idea for a future tank. Thank you!

Delcos

It sounds like you a still new to the hobby so playing it safe is probably the best option with your stocking and stick to the fish you said (maybe 6-7 of the schoolers instead of 5). I personally always overstock my tanks and have over filtration, lots of plants, and regular maintenance to keep things healthy. Once you feel more comfortable with keeping what you have healthy you could add some more fish, preferably some bottom dwellers, the corys are a good option, or my favorite, the khuli loach. If you have the option I’d go a 20 long instead of high.

Analisemcg

Hi, I know it’s been a while but I bought and set up the tank! Waiting for the fog from the gravel to settle, then I’m adding my fish in :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank Aquarium Stocking
Replies
Views
LHAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views