Bad Shape, Java Fern? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by JamieLu, Apr 12, 2019.

1. JamieLuValued MemberMember

I went to the lfs today to get some hornwort and java fern. They gave me a monsterous amount of great hornwort and i asked for a java fern. Well my 3 yr old was running around like a mad man so i had to go stop him from wrecking the place. Anyway, when i got home and unpacked the hornwort, i saw this pathetic thing. Maybe a windelov java? Not what i wanted but whateves, my fault for not watching the guy pick it out of the tank. Id appreciate if someone can help me since im new to plants, its obviously not in good shape. Is it too far gone? Do i pull off dead leaves? How can i help this poor plant? Thx all! 1555097901152-1101366280.jpg

2. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I’d cut the dead leaves off at the rhizome, give it some good fert (micro and macro nutrients) and give it time to establish in your tank. You’ll see little black dots on the underside of the mother leaves and it will grow new plants.

3. JamieLuValued MemberMember

Ok thank u, is the rhizome supposed to look like that? Its almost all black at the bottom. I have it in a cycling tank, should i put it in my established one? Sorry, im a newbie

4. MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

Yep that’s a windelov. Plant it and give it a root tab and it’ll take off.

5. JamieLuValued MemberMember

Well the whole reason i wanted a java is cuz i thought that they could be anchored instead of planted? Is that not the case with this one? I dont have any root tabs but i guess i may need some now. I really appreciate ur help and time!

6. MJohnsonValued MemberMember

I was under the impression that they are not supposed to be planted either. Mine is attached to some Mopani driftwood.

7. RSababadyWell Known MemberMember

My Java ferns are all anchored with roots in the water and not buried in the sand.
    The black spots are spores that are used for propagation - they usually appear if the plant finds the water conditioned bad - the black spots can survive like plant seeds and start to grow when the conditions are good.

My recommendation to you is as follows:
    1. trim off the damaged leaves. Trimming plants causes new growth.
    2. ensure the light is not too strong. Drop the lighting down to 4-5 hrs a day. (EDIT: Java fern does not like very intensive light).
    3. Ensure that your water temp does not exceed 82 degrees F. Higher temperature will cause problems for most plants.
    4. ensure that there is lots of water movement around the Java fern. They like oxidised water with water movement - so the best spot is where your water comes back into your tanks from your filters.
    5. definitely add micro and macro minerals. Add them strictly in accordance with the instructions, as overdosing will create other problems.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  8. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

As long as the rhizome is still pretty hard to the touch I would cut the old damaged leaves off and tie it to what it is I wanted it on and I’m pretty sure it’ll bounce back for u in a week or two... with a basic all in one fert it should do well

9. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

The roots are blackish brown but if you lightly separate them, you should find a green rhizome. A healthy rhizome isn’t discolored and it’s hard to the touch.

You can keep it in a cycling tank. It’s beneficial and I used plants when cycling. It will help with the ammonia/nitrates.

You could plant them but make sure the rhizome is above the substrate or you could tie them to rock or driftwood. I have mine rubber-banded down on my driftwood.

Liquid fert will work just fine if you aren’t going to plant. I use NilocG Thrive C for my Anubias and java fern and it’s literally magic in a bottle. I have new growth once a week on all my plants.

Don’t mind the sparseness, I took them apart from the clump they were in and attached each rhizome separately.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  10. MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

You can anchor them no problem. Iv just always had them planted with the rhizome above the substrate and they take off. Best of luck! Looks like you have all the help you could need

11. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Hmmm... mine doesn’t have water movement since I had to baffle my filter for my betta. But my fern is growing just fine even in almost still water.

12. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

You can plant the roots but not the rhizome as it needs light to keep the plant healthy. Java and Anubias have the ability to grow nicely either attached or planted and long as it’s planted correctly.

13. JamieLuValued MemberMember

Awesome thanks everyone! Ill have to get some fert, prob the thrive cuz i hear about that on here alot. Ill b adding more plants soon, simple ones cuz my light isnt fancy. Im glad to have people i can ask questions cuz all the info on the Internet is somewhat overwhelming.