Bad News

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by wxohio88, Mar 21, 2010.

1. w

wxohio88 New Member Member

Well....my brother decided to turn my fish tank off. Water temps dropped. Everything looks dead. Luckly I didnt have fish just live rock. My question is what do I do now. How can I get back to where I was at?

2. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

Just live rock, that still sucks pretty hard. I would wait, let the tank run for a while and make sure everything is dead. If it's dead, it may be time to repopulate your tank! :D
    Hope this helped!

3. OP
    OP
    w

wxohio88 New Member Member

How exactly would I do that?

4. benjaminBreaker

Well, I've never really owned live rock, but can't you just buy more?

5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Dude it's like 8 bucks a pound in most areas. At 1-2 lbs. per gallon, the cost of live rock adds up quickly. :p

Sorry that happened to you wxohio88. :(
    Do you happen to know how long the power was turned off? How low is the temp? Your heater should bring it back up in a day or two, so I wouldn't worry about that.

About the live rock- IMO and IME the beneficial organisms living on and in the rock are more resilient than what they get credit for. At this point I wouldn't suggest doing anything. Keep the power back on and do a water test to see where you are. Worst case scenario, you'll have die off on your live rock. No big deal, since there are no fish in there. Any die off you have will result in some degree of a cycle. If the power hasn't been off too long, I wouldn't expect to see much.

So if you could, please test your water with a liquid reagent kit and post results for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If we can see where you're at, we can help you figure out if anything needs to be done. Good luck!!! :)

6. benjaminBreaker

Whoo, didn't think it was that much. But still, if he really wants live rock, and all his dies, shouldn't he be able to just buy more?

7. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes. But in all likelihood, his rock is still live.

8. subie41ife

subie41ife New Member Member

dam..sorry to hear about what happened! Could of been a lot worse!

I agree with everything harpua2002 said! Check you levels and let us know how they are.

best of luck!

9. zeeter

zeeter Well Known Member Member

I'm with harpua on this one. With no fish in there this is really no big deal. At worst you have to cure the rock again. That would be a problem if you had fish since you'd have to remove the rock to cure it. I would run it for about a week with the skimmer on full blast and do daily water tests. Unless the water got to be around less than 65 degrees I doubt any serious harm was done or can't be corrected. Keep the water around 80 degrees and the lights off (though that's a hot topic!).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice