Bad Luck So Far With Plants. Starting Over?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by BlissfulBetta, Aug 3, 2017.

1. BlissfulBetta

BlissfulBettaValued MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon betta tank that I turned into a planted tank in April. Since then, my plants have been dying like crazy. I've posted a few threads about it, but I can't seem to keep some of those plants alive. My water is fairly hard, and my parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-10 nitrates. The tank is home to a male betta and a Nerite snail.
    I am willing to start over over the next few months, and redo the entire tank. Should I use a substrate specifically for planted tanks?
    I'd prefer really easy plants, but not Anarcharis or pennywort because I can't seem to keep those alive. My Anubias is the only one that is still doing well, and the java fern I have always looks just "okay".
    Do you guys have suggestions for plants, substate, ferts, or anything like that?
    Thanks! :)

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

3. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

I have petco brand black sand and I used Nilocg Thrive for a month but saw no improvements, so I stopped using it.

4. Katie13

With sand and gravel, you would be best off supplying root tabs. They are not necessary for Anubias, Java Fern, etc, but they are needed for some plants.

5. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Good to know! Thank you! What brand of root tabs is best? Do you have any plant suggestions?

6. Katie13

Seachem Flourish and API are good. The only thing with the Flourish is that they contain copper so no inverts with it. What type of light?

7. California L33

California L33Well Known MemberMember

8. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Thanks for the info Katie13! And I use a 20" Finnex Stingray.

9. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Flourish tabs are fine with inverts. I'm guessing you didn't see too much with thrive because you have rather easy and slow growing plants. Like the others said, sand with root tabs is suitable for a lot of plants :)

10. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

Seachem root tabs are fine for inverts :) I use then in my shrimp tanks and all my tanks really and I have some form of invert in all of them. And actually a very small amount of copper is required for healthy shrimp. The .00001% In seachem tabs is completely harmless to them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice