Bad Luck Rams

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey guys..
I don't know if there's a answer I'm looking for.
I'm kinda bummed frustrated.

I just lost my 3rd ram today since February.
I previously had great luck with GBR with the prior one lasting 2 years before this current die off.

Ammonia nitrate nitrite all 0. Temp 82.
Established tank over 5 years now.
I'm wondering if plant supplements like k or nitrogen may be partially responsible ?

Idk.. Thanks

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nope, your plant supplements aren’t the problem. Rams are notorious for living for very short periods of time due to unhealthy breeding. However, you shouldn’t be testing for 0 nitrates. Even if it’s heavily planted, you should at least see a little bit.

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gosh I've actually just switched from rams to apistos after my last male died. He was perfectly healthy then suddenly declined within less than 2 days. I must've had him for about just over a year. Heartbreaking cause he was my favorite fish, very colorful and active. I decided to switch because the quality of rams I'm finding from lfs isn't great yet the price keeps going up. If I do decide to get again I'll try a local breeder. I don't think the death is something you did wrong, especially if they have been dying suddenly without any visible tank issues. Could just be bad genetics...

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rams can be as frustrating as ottos to keep alive. I have them in three aquariums. In one the rams are fine and living long. In the other aquariums I have lost a gold in one and a GBR in the other. The water and supplements for the plants are the same.

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
kayla.s said:
Gosh I've actually just switched from rams to apistos after my last male died. He was perfectly healthy then suddenly declined within less than 2 days. I must've had him for about just over a year. Heartbreaking cause he was my favorite fish, very colorful and active. I decided to switch because the quality of rams I'm finding from lfs isn't great yet the price keeps going up. If I do decide to get again I'll try a local breeder. I don't think the death is something you did wrong, especially if they have been dying suddenly without any visible tank issues. Could just be bad genetics...
I have not tried apistos before.
Do they do well in a planted community setup ?
Maybe I will need to switch to.
It's disappointing to do well with them and then not having any viable luck at all.

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm loving them so far! I have them in the same tank I had my rams I'm, a planted community tank. I have a lone female gbr in with them too, along with all my other fish

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
AquaticJ said:
Apistos can be a little harder to find, but man are they cool fish.
I think you guys have convinced me to give these guys a try !

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah I got 3 cacatuoides "orange flash". Lovely little things. They're not super colorful when young, but usually color up brilliantly as they mature.

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
kayla.s said:
Yeah I got 3 cacatuoides "orange flash". Lovely little things. They're not super colorful when young, but usually color up brilliantly as they mature.
Do they do well alone ?
Or do you need a small group ?

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think they'd be fine alone but I want to try breeding them, and usually it's a bit of a harem situation. Also gives better chances of having them breed. Depending on your tank size and other inhabitants you can decide what is best I think it's fun to watch her them interact with one another too.

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
kayla.s said:
I think they'd be fine alone but I want to try breeding them, and usually it's a bit of a harem situation. Also gives better chances of having them breed. Depending on your tank size and other inhabitants you can decide what is best I think it's fun to watch her them interact with one another too.
Cool cool.
I don't breed anything cept MTS
I'll be on the look out for these guys !

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
20180723_142606.jpg
UPdate . APistos are exensive. I'm not willing to shell out 100 + for 2 fish.

I upgraded the aquarium to 75 gal.
No losses, purchased a GBR that was eating & really colored up and looked awesome.

A week later it's gone, So frustrating !

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wait, that’s a Balloon Ram, those are about as unhealthy of a fish you can get! I’d never suggest buying one.:dead: I got two 3 Rams in the last 2 weeks and all are thriving. I even have a Black ram, which is a new color morph. Had her for a few months now. Whats your PH, GH, and KH?

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
AquaticJ said:
Wait, that’s a Balloon Ram, those are about as unhealthy of a fish you can get! I’d never suggest buying one.:dead: I got two 3 Rams in the last 2 weeks and all are thriving. I even have a Black ram, which is a new color morph. Had her for a few months now. Whats your PH, GH, and KH?
Damp !!
I havent rechecked ph and hardness since moving.
It looked like a reg gbr when i bought it.
Is there a definitive way to separate gbr from balloon rams when looking in store ?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just noticed the gold one in your profile picture is also a balloon. They’re totally different in body shape. Look at mine. The black one is older and just ate so she has a slightly larger stomach.

Attachments

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
skar said:
View attachment 460798 UPdate . APistos are exensive. I'm not willing to shell out 100 + for 2 fish.

I upgraded the aquarium to 75 gal.
No losses, purchased a GBR that was eating & really colored up and looked awesome.

A week later it's gone, So frustrating !
For what it's worth, I became an Apisto borellii owner this week -- my first apistos. I got them from Aquatic Arts -- roughly $70 for a pair and that is with shipping.

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
AquaticJ said:
I just noticed the gold one in your profile picture is also a balloon. They’re totally different in body shape. Look at mine. The black one is older and just ate so she has a slightly larger stomach.
Yes you are right, i think I've been buying all balloon rams.
Thank you.
Essentially they should be streamlined and balloon rams appear more like ovals swimming around .

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sorry, but that’s kind of funny lol! I think you’re going to have 1000X better luck with regular Rams.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom