Bad Lighting?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Toadlets, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Toadlets

ToadletsValued MemberMember

I have a topping 20 gallon with many plants in it. I have been using the leds that came with the tank. Are they bad? Should I have better lights? [​IMG]

2. dcutl002

dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

Those are only desirable for fish-only tanks. If you want to grow plants you will need something else. Is this tank a 20 tall or 20 long?

3. OP
    OP
    Toadlets

Oops Typo. [​IMG]Tall. Would this work?

4. dcutl002

a 20 tall is a deep tank. Try one of these:

5. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

6. dcutl002

So do I providing that your budget allows.

EDIT: The EVO has more PAR than the Stingray...If I went with the stingray I would get two for a tall tank. I'll post a PAR ratings chart later...I gotta leave.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Toadlets

Finnex Stingray looks good. Could I still use it with the hood on my tank?

My tank is 24 inches long. Is this one okay? It says 24-30 inches... Amazon.com: Green Element EVO 24"-30" LED Aquarium Light Fixture - Reef Capable 16x3W

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2017
  8. dcutl002

PAR CHART: http://rudy.sloup.org/projects/PARData/PARdataSept2016RudySloup.png

Yeah, The EVO will work. It has a lot of power. Beamswork makes a good light.
    PAR readings for beamswork/greenelement/other cheap chinese arrays - The Planted Tank Forum

Beamswork success stories. (Beamswork club)? - The Planted Tank Forum

Stingray PAR (you will need 2):Finnex stingray PAR - The Planted Tank Forum

2 Stingrays on a 40 Breeder - follow thread all the way down for PAR readings: Doc7's Low Tech 40 Breeder - The Planted Tank Forum

Measure the depth of the light to the substrate...you will need at least 30 PAR for low light plants.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  9. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Yes, the Finnex Stingray can go with no hood since it has stands. If you have a glass canopy you can take the stands off and lay it on the hood

You do not need 2 Stingrays for a 40 breeder :), personally I have a 40 breeder and been running only 1 Stingray and it is really good:40 Breeder Build

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2017
  10. TaDah

TaDahValued MemberMember

i have recently just put plants in my tank after i got the Finnex 24/7 planted+ light. my tank is 20" tall and 48" wide. the light is so bright on MAX and the 24 hour setting is beautiful too going from a fire red sunrise to cool moonlite thru the night and I read that it doesnt startle the fishes :) So far my plants are doing great! I cant wait to start adding my fish to it to see them under the color :) I also had that same exact hood and LED lighting. I wanted to have a glass canopy so once i had to restart my tank i upgraded and got the new lamp. I have it on its stand still and its amazing :) it was like 130 on amazon for my 48". its such a thin lamp and its barely noticeable. the light does spill a bit out the sides tho but i think it looks cool against my wall :)

Photo 1: 9 pm
    photo 2: top of lamp
    Photo 3: lamp thickness
    Photo 4: i believe this was around 3 pm

Attached Files:

11. dcutl002

I disagree, but I guess it really depends on what and how much you are growing. 2 stingrays will give a better light spread for leaves underneath. But, the OP can try 1 Stingray and see how it goes. a second fixture is always an option.

If it were me, I would get the EVO...better PAR and cheaper.

12. OP
    OP
    Toadlets

I'm sorry, I don't understand what par is.

Also, could I use the EVO and still have the hood on my tank?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  13. dcutl002

Here is some information that may help. "Hoppy", the author of this thread is a legend in the planted Tank community. Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts - The Planted Tank Forum

As far as the hood with the EVO...I doubt it. Is your tank rectangular? If it is I would look into a glass top. Glass tops let the light through, look nice and are very inexpensive. You could also do a DIY window screen kit with 1/4" mesh.
    DIY screen top:

Here is a picture of one of may tanks with a DIY screen top. They are easy to do.

IMG_1052_zps4vbvnp2c.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017