Bad Lighting?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Toadlets, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Toadlets

Toadlets Valued Member Member

I have a topping 20 gallon with many plants in it. I have been using the leds that came with the tank. Are they bad? Should I have better lights? [​IMG]

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Those are only desirable for fish-only tanks. If you want to grow plants you will need something else. Is this tank a 20 tall or 20 long?

3. OP
    OP
    Toadlets

Oops Typo. [​IMG]Tall. Would this work?

4. dcutl002

5. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

I suggest the Finnex Stingray if you want low light plants

6. dcutl002

So do I providing that your budget allows.

EDIT: The EVO has more PAR than the Stingray...If I went with the stingray I would get two for a tall tank. I'll post a PAR ratings chart later...I gotta leave.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Toadlets

Finnex Stingray looks good. Could I still use it with the hood on my tank?

My tank is 24 inches long. Is this one okay? It says 24-30 inches... Amazon.com: Green Element EVO 24"-30" LED Aquarium Light Fixture - Reef Capable 16x3W

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2017
  8. dcutl002

PAR CHART:  

Yeah, The EVO will work. It has a lot of power. Beamswork makes a good light.
    PAR readings for beamswork/greenelement/other cheap chinese arrays - The Planted Tank Forum

Beamswork success stories. (Beamswork club)? - The Planted Tank Forum

Stingray PAR (you will need 2):Finnex stingray PAR - The Planted Tank Forum

2 Stingrays on a 40 Breeder - follow thread all the way down for PAR readings: Doc7's Low Tech 40 Breeder - The Planted Tank Forum

Measure the depth of the light to the substrate...you will need at least 30 PAR for low light plants.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  9. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, the Finnex Stingray can go with no hood since it has stands. If you have a glass canopy you can take the stands off and lay it on the hood

You do not need 2 Stingrays for a 40 breeder :), personally I have a 40 breeder and been running only 1 Stingray and it is really good:40 Breeder Build

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2017
  10. TaDah

TaDah Valued Member Member

i have recently just put plants in my tank after i got the Finnex 24/7 planted+ light. my tank is 20" tall and 48" wide. the light is so bright on MAX and the 24 hour setting is beautiful too going from a fire red sunrise to cool moonlite thru the night and I read that it doesnt startle the fishes :) So far my plants are doing great! I cant wait to start adding my fish to it to see them under the color :) I also had that same exact hood and LED lighting. I wanted to have a glass canopy so once i had to restart my tank i upgraded and got the new lamp. I have it on its stand still and its amazing :) it was like 130 on amazon for my 48". its such a thin lamp and its barely noticeable. the light does spill a bit out the sides tho but i think it looks cool against my wall :)

Photo 1: 9 pm
    photo 2: top of lamp
    Photo 3: lamp thickness
    Photo 4: i believe this was around 3 pm

Attached Files:

11. dcutl002

I disagree, but I guess it really depends on what and how much you are growing. 2 stingrays will give a better light spread for leaves underneath. But, the OP can try 1 Stingray and see how it goes. a second fixture is always an option.

If it were me, I would get the EVO...better PAR and cheaper.

12. OP
    OP
    Toadlets

I'm sorry, I don't understand what par is.

Also, could I use the EVO and still have the hood on my tank?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  13. dcutl002

Here is some information that may help. "Hoppy", the author of this thread is a legend in the planted Tank community. Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts - The Planted Tank Forum

As far as the hood with the EVO...I doubt it. Is your tank rectangular? If it is I would look into a glass top. Glass tops let the light through, look nice and are very inexpensive. You could also do a DIY window screen kit with 1/4" mesh.
    DIY screen top:

Here is a picture of one of may tanks with a DIY screen top. They are easy to do.

IMG_1052_zps4vbvnp2c.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice