Bad lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Xavierdickenson, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Xavierdickenson

XavierdickensonNew MemberMember

So my tank has a built in hood that fits a particular fluorescent light (Aqua one 18W PL). After about 3 weeks of getting to light, I came home to find it off. When I tried the switch it wasn't doing anything. Since the hood also has two small fans in it I new the power was going. I took out the light from its fixture and found that it was brown and looked burnt at its base. The four prongs has this crusty green coating on them. What happened?!?!

imageimageimage

Then, to save my plants I headed to the pet shop to buy a new lamp. It worked well for a week until the exact same thing happened! what is going on? I don't wanna keep buying lamps every couple of weeks and I need help. I'm pretty sure it's not the globe that's the problem. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. TeishokueWell Known MemberMember

does the light have a cover? it looks like it is short circuiting. most likely water getting into it and causing verdigris. or patina

3. OP
    OP
    Xavierdickenson

Yeah it has a clear plastic cover. Which also has a rubber seal. Don't think any water could have got in.

But I think it is verdigris

Any ideas how to prevent or repair it?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  4. TeishokueWell Known MemberMember

What's the temp of the tank. Most likely humidity is your culprit

5. OP
    OP
    Xavierdickenson

Around 26celcius. Do you think any extra water could have penetrated the cover? Would the sweating inside it be enough to cause this damage alone?

How can I prevent it from happening again?

If I were to scrub off the green stuff would the light still work or is it burnt out??

6. TeishokueWell Known MemberMember

i think its burnt. i would contact the manufacture and see what could've happened. most liekly the light is dead. you can certainly try though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice