10 Gallon Tank Bad Idea Or No?

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
While it’s good to keep the corys in groups, you might be at or a bit over your stocking limit already. Have you considered getting a larger tank?

GodGourami

Reaction score
While it’s good to keep the corys in groups, you might be at or a bit over your stocking limit already. Have you considered getting a larger tank?
I have actually, I was thinking of going for a 29 but it's outside the budget at the moment. What size would you suggest?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are all of the fish that you mentioned are in a 10 gallon? If so, then it's too small for all of the fish that you have. Upgrade the tank if you can. Also, many people advise not to put two different species of gourami in the same tank. Both dwarf and blue gourami are known to be aggressive.

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, the bigger you go, the more options you have. A 29 would be a good size for your group of corys. Not sure on the gouramis - I don’t have them myself, but they have a reputation for getting aggressive with each other.

jinjerJOSH22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Agree with above, I keep Dwarf and Three Spot(Blue) Gourami both can be very aggressive and I can't advise keeping these together especially if there are any males though females can be just as bad. You could keep one Dwarf in the 10 and maybe the corydoras but It depends on the species and the temperament of your Dwarf.
In the long run if you want to keep your Three Spots you're gonna need a bigger tank, i've had mine over a year and he's already 5 inches going on 6, they're big fish and need room, you're realisticly looking at 40 plus to keep them healthy.

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is a good time to look for second hand tanks, theres always people getting rid of them around this time of year.

That being said- your profile says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. I would heavily advise learning about that as it's the most important thing about fish keeping.

GodGourami

Reaction score
UPDATE!! I have acquired a 20 gallon high. Stock is as follows: 7 Mollies, 2 dwarf Gouramis, 2 Blue Gouramis, 2 Corydoras, 1 loach and an Angelfish. Everyone lives in perfect harmony. I just planted a water onion, water Lilly and am trying the sweet potato thing "system" loll oh btw I have two filters going so my gph is around 180. Keeping the temp around 74. Like before any and all advice(no negativity plz) is greatly appreciated!! Happy Tanking

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!! I have acquired a 20 gallon high. Stock is as follows: 7 Mollies, 2 dwarf Gouramis, 2 Blue Gouramis, 2 Corydoras, 1 loach and an Angelfish. Everyone lives in perfect harmony. I just planted a water onion, water Lilly and am trying the sweet potato thing "system" loll oh btw I have two filters going so my gph is around 180. Keeping the temp around 74. Like before any and all advice(no negativity plz) is greatly appreciated!! Happy Tanking
1. Stocking seems to be overstocked.

2. Tank is too small for blue gourami and angelfish.

3. Corydoras and loaches do best in a group of 6+ of the same species with four being the minimum.

4. Having two gouramis of the same sex and species could lead to constant fighting.

5. Seven mollies in a 20 high seems to be too much imo.

TankGeek

Valued Member
Reaction score
I keep angelfish, a golden three spot gourami and a dwarf gourami in 110g. No issues between the angelfish and gouramis, but my dwarf gourami is a bully and fights the golden, who is then forced to hide most of the time.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
7 mollies is quite a bit on a 20.

One of my girls is a monster sized fish, for a "small" fish... 7 of her would be a mess on their own, not counting other species. They also have really high bioloads (they eat and poop nonstop). Sailfin mollies get even larger, some almost 8 inches and are too big even for 20.

This is our girl compared to a betta... males get even bigger. You can see that they wont all fit in the 20. Plus they breed super fast. They will all have babies every month too...

Angelfish can get over 6-8 inches, way too big.

Mixing gourami species is a recipe for disaster. Theyre relatives of the betta and follow the same general rule in most cases... dwarves anyways. Theres few social species of gourami. Id choose one dwarf gourami to stay and either get each other gourami its own tank (30-40gal plus for the nondwarf species EACH) or maybe bring them back.

What kind of loach? Theres many kinds and only a couple are good in a 20. And all need to be kept in groups.

Stock would be better:

2 or 3 mollies (1 male to 2 females, or all same gender)
1 dwarf gourami
6 cories

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom