Bad Idea? Am I A Potential Monster?

RachelNoel
So, when I get my tank I will have to go to the pet store for supplies, and I may drift into the betta section. And I might be tempted; I plan on doing a fishless cycle using seachem stability. But does stability make a fish in cycle safe like it claims? It will be a 10 gallon aquarium.

Mary765
We are all potential monsters but that is besides the point..

The point is that I'm afraid I cannot help you with your question but I wish you the best of luck

goldface
I never had a problem with a fish in cycle. With a labryinth fish, such as a betta, even less so.

RachelNoel
We are all potential monsters but that is besides the point..

The point is that I'm afraid I cannot help you with your question but I wish you the best of luck

oh believe me, I know. My first aquarium was a complete disaster (to be fair I wasn't allowed to use the internet) pet store employees can be the worst. Among many other unforgivable things, the dude pushed me into getting bumblebee gobies because I thought that they were cute. Never said anything about the fact that they need brackish water and special food. So those poor guys along with about 8 other poor fish met a very quick monstrous end by my handead:

I never had a problem with a fish in cycle. With a labryinth fish, such as a betta, even less so.
That's what I thought. One labyrinth fish in a 10 gallon with frequent water changes should be fine. I just needed a second opinion.

Lunnietic
I have no clue if them being labyrinth fish makes them easy to cycle with...

What I can say is, Betas are more hardy and tend to survive cycling. I wouldn't ever recommend doing a fish in cycle because you always have the potential of losing the fish no matter what fish it is.

SFGiantsGuy
Indeed Bettas ARE very resilient and super hardy and tough..because they're Bettas eh? The most powerful, major biologically manipulating altering chemicals should be used as a last resort, IMO/IME......but hey...that's just me.

And well...unfortunately, most box lfs's supply of bettas are already subjected to a rather upsetting practice and environment anyway...and to expose them to any further anguish would not be very kindly at all to yourself...and him/her/the fish. So perhaps try another store with a more professional, dignified and exclusive rep, with bettas already in community tanks...indeed, they are few and far between, but the overall prospective benefits are more promising. And mostly, on a much more positive vibe. Keep happy fish, and in turn, you will also be happy. : ) God bless.

psalm18.2
I would just cycle the 10 gallon first then add the fish. If you can't wait then try Tetra Safe Start it's a beneficial bacteria cycle starter that allows you to have fish in the tank while using.

Mom2some
Short answer - yes you could certainly cycle a 10 Gallon with one betta using TSS+. I have noticed an interesting change in the opinion on the board in the 2+ years I have been a member to this general belief that fishless cycling is the best/only way. It is *A* way, but not the only way. In a 10 gallon my opinion is that your betta will be a small bioload & it will be fine, but clearly many here disagree - which is their right. Good luck whatever you choose and please share a picture!

Wanted to come back & say ... which is more stressful to the betta
1. Being in a tiny unfiltered cup for 2 weeks
2. Being in your 10 gal while it cycles with TSS+ or use of Prime & Stability?

RonJ
Indeed Bettas ARE very resilient and super hardy and tough..because they're Bettas eh? The most powerful, major biologically manipulating altering chemicals should be used as a last resort, IMO/IME......but hey...that's just me.

And well...unfortunately, most box lfs's supply of bettas are already subjected to a rather upsetting practice and environment anyway...and to expose them to any further anguish would not be very kindly at all to yourself...and him/her/the fish. So perhaps try another store with a more professional, dignified and exclusive rep, with bettas already in community tanks...indeed, they are few and far between, but the overall prospective benefits are more promising. And mostly, on a much more positive vibe. Keep happy fish, and in turn, you will also be happy. : ) God bless.

What are those biologically manipulating altering chemicals?

If you are referring to Tetra Safe Start or Seachem Stability there are just live bacteria. Not a biologically altering chemical.

Rojer Ramjet
I have 16 aquariums and assorted support equipment; I do all of my initial setup with livestock in tank - I dose with Prime and Stability daily for a minimum of 7 days, or until I have no more detectable ammonia or nitrites and a heavy nitrate presence.

I just finished a shrimp-in-cycle with a couple of Endlers thrown in on a nano-cube; zero losses, zero stress observed, all females were berried by the end of the cycle (CRS and Ghost - I breed to feed other fish).

cmonstr
oh believe me, I know. My first aquarium was a complete disaster (to be fair I wasn't allowed to use the internet) pet store employees can be the worst. Among many other unforgivable things, the dude pushed me into getting bumblebee gobies because I thought that they were cute. Never said anything about the fact that they need brackish water and special food. So those poor guys along with about 8 other poor fish met a very quick monstrous end by my handead:

That's what I thought. One labyrinth fish in a 10 gallon with frequent water changes should be fine. I just needed a second opinion.

If it’s your first tank, I would do fishless first. It’s just ~safer~

RachelNoel
A get that you guys just want what's best for the fish. But wouldn't a heavily monitored 10 gallon with water changes and a heater be much more safe than that dingy cup? I'm fairly certain the cups can't maintain a cycle.

Like I said, I plan on doing a fishless cycle.

david1978
I would just put it in the 10 and test your water daily and change water as needed. It will much easier on the fish than the little cup. I have only ever done fish in cycles with very few loses. As long as you keep up water quality he will be fine.

RachelNoel
I would just put it in the 10 and test your water daily and change water as needed. It will much easier on the fish than the little cup. I have only ever done fish in cycles with very few loses. As long as you keep up water quality he will be fine.

I think I might. I will be constantly around (because my life is boring) so I will have the means to test daily, as well as do water changes as soon as needed.

Mom2some
If you are going to be checking water, then I would recommend Stability rather than TSS+ since you can do water changes with that.

RachelNoel
I still might do a fishless cycle using just ammonium chloride as there seems to be some controversy regarding cycling products. I still have more research to do.

Lunnietic
A get that you guys just want what's best for the fish. But wouldn't a heavily monitored 10 gallon with water changes and a heater be much more safe than that dingy cup? I'm fairly certain the cups can't maintain a cycle.

Like I said, I plan on doing a fishless cycle.
If there is a filter too, should be okay.

mrdilling

Keep an eye out for illness. Could be rather stressful on the fish

RachelNoel
If there is a filter too, should be okay.
absolutely! It will have a baffled aquaclear 20, as well as a sponge filter.
I will most likely be doing a fishless cycle anyways.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wraithen
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
portcitysally
Top Bottom