Bad Fish Food?

warpedmind41

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So, about...two months ago I bought a thing of Aqueon Jumbo Cichlid Slow-Sinking Pellets. I didn't really like them, my fish didn't really like them, so I went and found different food that they liked. Plus, they didn't seem to sink, they would just float until I took them out thirty minutes later. They just seemed trashy, but the store was out of what I usually got and I needed food ASAP.

ANYWAYS. The problem at hand:

I decided I wanted to try and give a few to my axolotls since I still pretty much have the whole thing there and I know my little fellas will eat just about anything. But know the problem with floating too slow, I wanted to stick them in some tank water to sink first before putting them in. Well, I get the water from the tank, I open the bottle and just shake out a few sticks and almost immediately I see little BUGS. Like...little 1/4" bugs, kind of like beatles. They don't seem to fly and it almost looks like the cichlid sticks were eggs of some sort because there are holes in some of them with bugs burrowed into them and bugs were just crawling around.

Keep in mind, this bottle hasn't been touched in nearly two months and the lid was on it tightly.

What does this all mean??? T.T

Has anyone else had this happen with this food?

I'm insanely grossed out.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There must have been at least a few eggs in the jar to start with. I think it was probably more of a fluke than anything. Still very gross though

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I've been very fortunate to not find any bugs in any of the foods I've used over the years.

Can you post a photo of the bugs? I don't recall anyone every mentioning this issue before.

Ken

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Eww I don't blame you, I would be grossed out too!! *shudders*

Reminds me of the time I poured some powdered iced tea into the water jug and there were little worms in it.... Ew.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, are you sure your fish wouldn't just gobble up the bugs and say yum? Small insects are a common staple diet of a lot of fish.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads