Bad Fin Rot... Need Help Asap!!

clover93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am ashamed to admit that my poor betta has deteriorated significantly, since I brought him more, over a year ago.
I think I had no idea how difficult it was to keep a beta. Mostly because the friend who had one, and motivated me to get one, she didn’t take care of hers... and I thought it was easy, because she just let it go. But then, after buying one and researching on my own, I have found it to be MUCH more challenging than I first imagined! Especially as a student at university. That is NO EXCUSE. And I am so so aware that I have failed as a dish keeper massively, and am so SO ashamed to share these pictures. But I want my fish to be happy again, to be healthy again. To be free of fin rot or any disease that might be causing him to waste away. I haven’t changed the water in a really long time. I have a heater and a whisper filter (I did in tank cycling back in August - before learning that’s not safe for him), and some fairy lights around the aquarium (5 gallons) that I turn on sometimes. He is such a friendly and sweet fish. I don’t want him to suffer because I am lazy or not willing to meet his basic needs. Please, please, I really need help and will do ANYTHING to see him restored to full health!! I just want him to be better. If there’s medicine or specific water changes, I want to do all I can. When I change the water I use API stress coat water conditioner as the water is hard tap water, and I don’t have any PH balance checking kits... also, the back of the tank is not fully planted, and I know I need to get more docorations. I just want to focus on him and his health. I will be going home for Christmas soon, and he will be going in an unfiltered (3 gallon) tank, so if there are specific instructions for that one too, let me know.

Thanks so much in advanced. I really really look forward to hearing back..... I know I am a despicable person for letting him get this way, and don’t deserve to even have him, but I love him, and I want to take care of him to see him thrive. I really really do.

Attachments

SparklingGourami

Reaction score
What’s the temperature at?
I would raise it slightly to the 78-80 range to speed up healing.

Then, I would try to make the water as clean as possible.

Try doing a 50% WC 2-3 times a week.
Make sure to decjlorinate the water.

This should help with the healing.

It will also help to feed more nutritious food for fin growth.

Try frozen foods or just soaking the current foods you feed in garlic juice.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
His fin rot is mild. Daily 25-50% water changes will clear it up and don't mess with the pH, fish will adapt to it perfectly fine as long as it stays stable and not fluctuating. Also stop beating yourself down for it. All of us all started off as noobs and learned from mistakes.

OP
clover93

clover93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a heater that is supposed to run from 78-80, looks to be about at 78 right now. I feed my betta pellets, should I feed bloodworms?

Is conditioning and declorinating the same thing?

OP
clover93

clover93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Repolie said:
His fin rot isn't bad. Daily 25-50% water changes will clear it up and don't mess with the pH, fish will adapt to it perfectly fine as long as it stays stable and not fluctuating. Also stop beating yourself down for it. All of us all started off as noobs and learned from mistakes.
What happens after it’s cleared up? How often should water changes occur after that point? I never know. I have been told everything from once every two weeks to once a month! It seems like there’s so much information out there, it’s hard to know what is true and what isn’t..... thanks. It’s just so sad seeing him like this. Typically I don’t spend much time in my room which is why I haven’t realized how bad he’s gotten. I don’t know about those red spots, is that fin rot? Or some other damage? I don’t think it’s natural colour change, that’s for sure....

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
clover93 said:
What happens after it’s cleared up? How often should water changes occur after that point? I never know. I have been told everything from once every two weeks to once a month! It seems like there’s so much information out there, it’s hard to know what is true and what isn’t..... thanks. It’s just so sad seeing him like this. Typically I don’t spend much time in my room which is why I haven’t realized how bad he’s gotten. I don’t know about those red spots, is that fin rot? Or some other damage? I don’t think it’s natural colour change, that’s for sure....
After it clears up you can revert back to your regular water changes as needed and monitor your water parameters to prevent him from developing fin rot again. Those red spots do look like natural colouration. Some bettas have the marble gene which allows them to change colours over time.

kayla.s

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In a tank that size it's not too hard to do a 50% water change once a week. In bigger tanks it's sometimes easier to get away with less frequent water changes. For instance with my 75 gallon I'll do a 50% water change every second week whereas I have a 5 gallon for my pea puffer that I'll change 50% once a week I mean obviously you don't have to do it on the exact day if you're too busy (I'm a student too and I'll admit I got bad about maintenance during exams). But 50% once a week or so shouldn't be much trouble and your fish will definitely appreciate it as it'll prevent future disease good luck!

New Threads