Bad day

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by llfish, Nov 26, 2012.

1. llfish

llfishWell Known MemberMember

What a terrible day. I was making breakfast for the kids this morning and called them upstairs when it was done. Three of them came up awefully quiet, I asked them what was wrong and they just said "Liam did it" (my 2 year old) So I ran downstairs to find my 2 year old looking into the 29 g aquarium...full of milk and orange juice and a bunch of dead fish. The older ones must have loosened the younger two's sippy cup lids and dumped it in there. I got my net and tried scooping out what I could see, which was next to nothing due to the milk. 6 Panda cory, my beautiful pearl gourami male, 8 neon tetras, a couple guppies, 3 otos, 4 ornate tetras and a preggie molly...that was due in a couple days gone. I cried so hard!! I emptied the tank, cleaned it and was not going to start it up again. Between this and loosing inhabitants last month of my 36g due to camanallus worms I am frustrated!!

I decided to redo my 29 gallon again. I cant help myself love fish so much! I went to buy new substate and plants and asked the fish manager for just a small cup of established gravel to help my get my tank going again. She did one better she scooped me up a huge pail full of established gravel(very fine almost like flourite) that I loved that they did not have in stock to redo my tank.

I guess my question is with this established gravel will my cycle happen?

I have no idea what I am going to stock the tank with yet. Probably a drawf gourami and some more panda corys, and cardinals. I also found a lovely honeycomb catfish too (they get about 4 inches i think). Any ideas?

2. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I think it's possible a cycle could start again. To be safe I would test out the parameters and such before adding fish. Just to be safe.

Sorry for your loss...hope your kids learn a lesson.

3. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I would feed it with ammonia until you can get fish, both to keep the bacteria alive and to grow more. It should at least jumpstart your cycle if not completely cycle your tank right away. Make sure you keep it wet with dechlorinated water and don't rinse it.

4. OP
    OP
    llfish

Great I will do, Thank you;)

5. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Wow, that is a bad day. sorry to hear of your troubles, darn those kids. gotta love'em though don't you?:;fru

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I'm so sorry, I can imagine how bad that made you feel! :;hug2

7. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Oh no:console: Sorry for your loss. Hopefully your kids never do such a thing again!

8. hoboValued MemberMember

That happened to me 15 years ago only milk no orange juice and I did stop for 15 years sold all my stuff and vowed never to return again. 15 years later the youngest turn 18 and guess what.

9. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

Better put a "no grandkids" sign on the door in a couple years hobo ;)

10. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

I was just imagining what I would do if one of my boys did this, and came up blank - my mind is refusing to admit to such a possibility and thus refuses to come up with suitable consequence, but I do think that there would have to be a consequence for something like this. Oh, and ideally some way to make them realize how much they hurt you, though empathy is much harder for kids to grasp at certain ages. Hug to you!

11. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

That is a rough one! I cannot even begin to imagine how you felt when you saw that. I am glad that you decided to start it up again and that the lfs was so helpful to you. Hopefully, the kids realize what they did and it won't happen again.

12. OP
    OP
    llfish

I don't think they will do that again, they are all under 7 the 2 oldest knew better my three yr old said i feeded fish too they hungry. Sighs I just about passed out I was so mad. They all stayed in their bedrooms and cleaned as I took down and cleaned the tank. They drew me pictures this afternoon made me feel better.

13. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

At least the older 2 understand how much it upset u, hopefully they be good ringleaders next time and protect the fish.

Way to be brave and start cycling again. I used the fish food I had on hand to keep my BB spreading when I didn't have enough to completely cycle the tank

14. OP
    OP
    llfish

There was a 12 inch oscar in this tank she got the substrate from...lots of poop! I am hoping that keeps up the ammonia. I did a reading and no nitrites or nitrates but I have about .5 ammonia.

I hate cycling all over again!!

15. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

So did the kids see all the dead fish you pulled out? Maybe that would of got the point across!! JK. Kids are too much sometimes. Maybe you'll need locking hoods for the future tank.

16. OP
    OP
    llfish

Yah maybe duct tape!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice