Bad Cat

Leeds0910

Reaction score
Does anybody have any ideas on how I can keep my cat out of my fish tank. He pulls the filter cartridge out of the filter which then leads to my puppy finding it and shredding it, and then he will knock the lid off in the water... I have used a water bottle and I have even spanked him over it...

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't agree with spanking!
Can you put double sided sticky tape on the parts that he climbs on? I have heard cats don't like sticky stuff.

Leeds0910

Reaction score
I don't agree with spanking!
Can you put double sided sticky tape on the parts that he climbs on? I have heard cats don't like sticky stuff.
He gets up there to drink water (and yes he has other supplies of water) and then he just becomes destructive with it... and I said spanking, not beating, he is very well loved and taken care of

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm. All my cats have never bothered my tanks. Cats supposedly don't like citrus, either, but not sure how to not get it too close to your tank so as not to contaminate it.

Leeds0910

Reaction score
Hmmm. All my cats have never bothered my tanks. Cats supposedly don't like citrus, either, but not sure how to not get it too close to your tank so as not to contaminate it.
He only messes with this one... I may just have to move it... but idk where else it can go lol

Armypro

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try to block how he gets up there, and I don't agree with hitting a animal, ever. What I did with my cat is I simply blocked off how he got up there to spook my fish, picked him up and brought him downstairs so he lost interest.

You can also encourage him to watch the fish from a different angle (Say a Chair) which I did. I put a chair next to the Aquarium for me to view the fish and I wanted him to look at my fish to keep his little mind active (He's a indoor cat, along with 2 of his brothers). That's how I stopped mine from spooking the fish, but then my cats prefer Birds (Which sucks, I love birds, another reason they're indoor cats).

Discourage him from doing every time you see him up there with a firm "No!" and try to get him to lose interest by maybe locking the door to the room or put some of his toys on the other side of the room or outside of it. You could even put one of his cat perches (If you have one, I have 4 and they're always on them, or in a sunbeam lying beside my dog who at first wasn't very fond of them) next to the Aquarium (Far away so he can't jump on it) and encourage him to use it which will draw him away from terrorizing your Aquariums.

FishL:))

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does anybody have any ideas on how I can keep my cat out of my fish tank. He pulls the filter cartridge out of the filter which then leads to my puppy finding it and shredding it, and then he will knock the lid off in the water... I have used a water bottle and I have even spanked him over it...
Is the lid not on the filter or is he pushing the lid off too?

Leeds0910

Reaction score
Is the lid not on the filter or is he pushing the lid off too?
The lid covers the entire thing and he knocks the lid into the tank...

Try to block how he gets up there, and I don't agree with hitting a animal, ever. What I did with my cat is I simply blocked off how he got up there to spook my fish, picked him up and brought him downstairs so he lost interest.

You can also encourage him to watch the fish from a different angle (Say a Chair) which I did. I put a chair next to the Aquarium for me to view the fish and I wanted him to look at my fish to keep his little mind active (He's a indoor cat, along with 2 of his brothers). That's how I stopped mine from spooking the fish, but then my cats prefer Birds (Which sucks, I love birds, another reason they're indoor cats).

Discourage him from doing every time you see him up there with a firm "No!" and try to get him to lose interest by maybe locking the door to the room or put some of his toys on the other side of the room or outside of it. You could even put one of his cat perches (If you have one, I have 4 and they're always on them, or in a sunbeam lying beside my dog who at first wasn't very fond of them) next to the Aquarium (Far away so he can't jump on it) and encourage him to use it which will draw him away from terrorizing your Aquariums.
I have said no, shooed him away, I have a spray bottle... He doesn't like toys and he doesn't play on cat stands... It's also on my coffee table, so there really isn't a way to block him

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you put something heavy on the filter lid? Like a pretty rock? Or is that just asking for more trouble?

DutchMutch

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
When your cat is on the counter going at your fish tank, smack him off. that's what I do mine and he finally stopped after a week and a 1/2.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The lid covers the entire thing and he knocks the lid into the tank...
Have you ever tape it secure so that he can't even lift it up ? Or, what about just putting that room to off limits to him?

When your cat is on the counter going at your fish tank, smack him off. that's what I do mine and he finally stopped after a week and a 1/2.
I wouldn't snack him off, maybe just buy a misting bottle and squirt him with mist.

JRS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had years ago velcro straps for a trash barrel lid to keep out the raccoons. They stuck to the lid and the side and then the velcro secured it. Just an idea, maybe not the prettiest.

Edit: Something like this -

TaDah

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thank goodness my 2 cats have ZERO interest in my tank!!! I would get so agitated. but it being on your coffee table, kitty shouldnt be there anyways? try a running water dispenser for him to drink from and see if that keeps him away from your tank

Leeds0910

Reaction score
Have you ever tape it secure so that he can't even lift it up ? Or, what about just putting that room to off limits to him?

I wouldn't snack him off, maybe just buy a misting bottle and squirt him with mist.
I have an industrial spray bottle and it just makes him jump down, but I'm not always in here to spray him

Leeds0910

Reaction score
thank goodness my 2 cats have ZERO interest in my tank!!! I would get so agitated. but it being on your coffee table, kitty shouldnt be there anyways? try a running water dispenser for him to drink from and see if that keeps him away from your tank
He plays in it!! Like up to his neck in the water

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's the living room... and I did have tape on it and he took it off
I just remembered!! I was reading online a few months ago about how to keep cats away from my house plants and orange peels was the trick works really well !!! Just peel your orange and put the peel all over your tank and around the coffee table and it will it kind of like a repellent.

Leeds0910

Reaction score
im sorry but your cat sounds like a major A-Hole... Maybe its time to find a new spot for the tank. perhaps out of reach from Le Trouble
Once I get my half bath done, he may be moved in there... or even my master bathroom... and yes, major a hole is an understatment.. He spends most of his time outside, and just causes problems when he comes in

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom