Bad case of ich even with aquarium salt

• Thread starter Gr198868
  • Start date

Gr198868

I recently got a Betta about 4 days ago and have him in a 2.5 gallon tank and yesterday I noticed he has a pretty bad case of ich, except I have had aquarium salt in that tank as a preventative for ich since day 1. Is it possible for him to have already had ich on him from the store and not have showed it or is the aquarium salt just not effective in killing ich and it was in the tank

Ikan

Im sorry your Betta is having health troubles! I believe it can take some time to see the white spots even after the ich has attached to the fish. I think its possible your Betta was infected before you received him.

MrsPancakes

You can pretty much count on Ich being present in every fish environment. Healthy fish have immune systems capable of fighting off the infection, so we don't see it in a healthy tank. However, when a source of stress compromises a fish, Ich becomes prevalent because the animal doesn't have a strong enough immune system to protect it. A new fish has been through a lot before getting to your tank. From the breeder to the distributor, to the pet store, and then your tank, your little guy has been through a lot of environmental change. Raise the temp of your tank to shorten the ich lifecycle, keep your tank pristine, and treat the tank.

Top Bottom