Bad Bettas From Petco?

1. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

Is anyone else having issues with male bettas from PetCo?
    I have gotten 2 within the last month, and they have both died!
    One died, he got ich suddenly, so I replaced him and the new one seemed to swim funnily and was always just laying on the bottom in an odd position. Just now I found him in a plant, dead, with his tail and fins eaten off (most likely by the GS)

The tank is home to 2 feeder guppies and 2 or 3 GS as well.
    The tank is cycled, and I do daily water changes on the tank, or every other day if I am too busy.

I did put in some small feeder guppies the other day and all 10 of them were gone over night. They were so small I thought they would be good for him to chase / eat as they were really just fry. The GS seemed to love the feeders.

The 2 larger feeders that aren't fry and the 2 or 3 GS have been in the tank for quite some time and have all been doing very well. So I can only assume the issue is with the quality of the bettas, so I was wondering if anyone else had these issues as well with bettas from PetCo, or if it was just me? I can't imagine the shrimp bothering the bettas. I am at a loss of what is going on! Is it the betta fish supplier, is the tank? I wonder if I should dose it with some TSS+ as a precaution...

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Thats were all mine have come from and no issues. I haven't gotten any in a few months however.

3. OP
    OP
    wrs2

My female is doing amazing, and I got a baby betta who is doing great too, but the males keep dying. I am doing nothing different with them and the others so I really have no clue what the issue is! None of the other fish in the tank, the whole 2 of them, are doing bad either - just the male bettas!

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I have purchased the past six bettas from PetCo in the last four months and I haven’t had any problems, except once. My opal white male died of dropsy and was never right from the purchase date.

5. butterflylanding

butterflylanding New Member Member

I’m sorry to hear of your problems. I have bought 2 bettas from Petco in the last week. They were impulse buys as I’ve never kept them before. However, I walked past them for the 100th time and couldn’t stand to see these beautiful fish half dead in the cups. I bought 2 5.5 gallon tanks for them. (Had heaters, filters, substrate and plants). I’m doing 50% waterchanges daily and still have fin rot on both. One is lathargic still. Both are eating mosquito larvae from my rain barrel and brine shrimp. Tried them on Betta pellets but they just sit and watch them sink to the bottom.
    Yes, the bettas I bought were from Petco, but I knew they were sick when I fell for them.

Oh, one other thing, I tested the water in the cups they came in and the ammonia was between 1 and 2ppm. Didn’t test nitrites.

6. OP
    OP
    wrs2

This second one had been swimming weirdly since I got him.

Perhaps when I go to get a new one, which will probably be today as I love bettas and feel a void without them, I will just get another female as I’ve had more luck with the ladies than the guys! TBH of all the bettas I’ve ever owned the girls have always lived longer for me!

7. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

i got one from Petco. He's doing actually really well in a 10 gallon planted tank with a sponge filter. At first he looked a little rough, but after i started feeding him a variety of foods, he's doing great now. As far as Petco or PetSmart as a whole, I'm against both. They don't care for animal properly and prices are stupid high. I saw a guinea pig in a tiny plastic tote at Petco this morning with a price tag on it :( if i didn't already have a savannah cat and fish I'd buy him...

8. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Are you buying long finned males? They have more issues than plakats and females so they don’t ofen live as long. My lovely double tailed plakat from petco is just about a year old since I bought him. I tend to stay away from long finned bettas because none of my males lasted more than a year.

9. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Yeah I have always gotten the long tailed ones but it’s recall a long time ago I got some Plakat bettas from a pet store in a mall and they lived quit a while!
    I think over the summer I want to upgrade to a 20 long as it would take up about the same or maybe a little less space than my current betta homes and use only 1 filter, heater, light etc. so maybe I will just get a girl so Ican do a sorority!

10. motherofbettas

motherofbettas Valued Member Member

The one Petco by me ALWAYS has awful male Bettas. I mean like AWFUL. Everything from clamped fins, to SBD, to fin rot, to velvet, to fungus. I've hardly ever seen one healthy one...It could just be that your store sucks with male bettas? That's the conclusion I've come to... do you have a Petsmart or something else near you?

11. OP
    OP
    wrs2

DF37E2EB-FF6E-4E68-B533-7469624B8652.jpeg Yeah there is a petsmart but I feel like the ones at PetSmart are worse haha. The ones at PetCo look better.
    They had this beautiful male betta the other day that I wanted so badly! I wonder if he will still be there today... I probably won’t get there until later as I went out with my dad and of course we are right by a tbestire but he can’t be bothered to go so I will need to go myself later and of course they won’t have anything ugh. But they always have females! Sorry that probably makes no sense haha

12. OP
    OP
    wrs2

I eventually made my way to PetCo, where they had female bettas marked as male Koi Plakats... They still had the pretty dark colored fish, but I ended up getting a female koi who I hope will do better than the males!

13. motherofbettas

motherofbettas Valued Member Member

That male from Petsmart is GORGEOUS. They had a similar one at mine and only the lack of space stopped me from taking him home. Good luck with your little female though! And post pictures!

14. OP
    OP
    wrs2

He was so pretty... I really should’ve gotten both of them but I hope to just do a 20 g sorority in the near future so I figured just go stick with females for now.

15. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

2 baby females from Petco did not survive long. I have 3 healthy males and 7 females.

4 came from Petco, 3 from Petsmart, 3 from Pet Supplues Plus. All are doing well.

16. OP
    OP
    wrs2

66418480-C7B0-4B1F-864F-A5585DCC68A9.jpeg
    This is the new girl I got today!
    I am hoping that she does well and lives longer than the males I had which were not that long at all! ( Though my other female as I said has been doing great)

17. OP
    OP
    wrs2

So that koi female died as did a new one I got yesturday! None of my other fish have died so I am convinced that there has to be something wrong with the shipment of bettas! In the last 2 weeks I got 3 from Petco and in less than a week they all died!

18. Wystearya

Wystearya Valued Member Member

I hope you got refunded.

19. OP
    OP
    wrs2

Only one so far but I have to bring the other 2 back. I don’t want to bring all 3 back at once.

20. Wystearya

Wystearya Valued Member Member

I can understand, however maybe if they got the fish in all at once they *might* care and try to look into the problem. Maybe... Some of the chain stores don't seem to care.

Good luck.