10 Gallon Tank Bad ammonia & nitrite

BettaBuddies0621

I currently have a 10 gallon tank and I’ve never had any problems with it water wise. I just checked the water parameters today to see if I need to do a water change and the pH is 7.0 but the ammonia is 4.0 and the nitrite looks close to 2.0
The fish all seem fine but I know ammonia this bad can hurt them. What should I do?

DrogJustDrog

What about the nitrate? I know it's probably frustrating to be asked questions in a disaster but we'll need to know this.

Upvote 0

BettaBuddies0621

What about the nitrate? I know it's probably frustrating to be asked questions in a disaster but we'll need to know this.
The nitrate I just tested and it looks like 20 ppm but it’s also slowly getting darker

Upvote 0

Ouse

Fresh, clean water is the best medicine. Do some large scale daily water changes over the next few days until everything is back to normal. Begin by doing a 50% or more water change today and monitor the parameters closely over time. Today I did a 70% water change on a tank with a bacterial infection which I’m currently resolving, for example.

If the tank is previously cycled then the problem should go away soon if you intervene.

Upvote 0

BettaBuddies0621

Fresh, clean water is the best medicine. Do some large scale daily water changes over the next few days until everything is back to normal. Begin by doing a 50% or more water change today and monitor the parameters closely over time. Today I did a 70% water change on a tank with a bacterial infection which I’m currently resolving, for example.

If the tank is previously cycled then the problem should go away soon if you intervene.
Okay awesome thank you! Should I remove the decorations inside my tank or just siphon the gravel around it? I usually remove it but I didn’t know if it mattered or not?

Upvote 0

Ouse

Okay awesome thank you! Should I remove the decorations inside my tank or just siphon the gravel around it? I usually remove it but I didn’t know if it mattered or not?
Whilst using the gravel vacuum you can remove decorations so you can access the substrate under them. Make sure the decorations stay wet because beneficial bacteria settles on them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dunk2
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishDin
  • Question
Replies
Views