Bad algae problem

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am having very bad algae problems and dont know why. Its on my sand, plants, rocks, glass driftwood. I am having nitrate problems due to my tap having 20ppm in it( currently doing things to help with this issue). My lights are on ten hours a day as i have a heavily planted tank. Im to the point im ready to do a huge cleaning, go back to fake plants, and cut my light time down to 6 hours a day.

Talisaint

Valued Member
Reaction score
I can't see what type of algae it is (mobile sucks, haha).

You can try the Siesta Regimen. Lights on from 7-noon followed by four hours with no light and lights on from 4 to 9pm.

You can also get floating plants (Frogbit for example) which reduces lighting and reduces nutrients. Submerged plants are better off being shaded with floating plants.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm having a hard time seeing if its green or brown spots you are referring to. I can't tell in your picture.
But first, tell me about your tank:

Size:
How long its been running:
Cycled?
Occupants:
Temp:
PH:
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrates ( I see you already said 20ppm ) so the other parameters

Depending on the type of algae, there's different things you can do to prevent it ( phosphates, silacates, lighting, temps, etc ) and get rid of it/control it.

If you fill out your profile with equipment and info, it will be easier for others to give you feedback

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Its a 125 gallon. Running about 2 months. Yes cycled. 0-0-20 to 30. 1 oscar, 2 jacks, 1 green terror, 1 jaguar, 1 firemouth. 78°. I have diatoms, i know that is normal on a new tank but still very annoying. But it is green algae i am referring to in this post.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom