Bad advice

smillermom

Reaction score
Well. I was pretty disgusted at a Walmart today. Not only are they selling Pacus and Oscars and suggesting 10 gallon tanks for them, they have very tiny containers they are selling with built in dividers for 2 male Bettas. It cannot be anymore than a 3 cup water container. A lady was going to buy one and I talked her out of it as well as a bowl for a goldfish. The clerk told me I was driving away his business and I explained it is better in the long run for the fish and the owner. Well, when he left I happened to glance at the Bettas and saw 3 dead in the containers and a lonely little female looking at me. I promised myself I could not have another tank but had to bring her home. I ended up with the female betta and a 2.5 gallon. I brought a heater also for the tank. I know a 5 would have been better but really am out of room. So, she is in a tank with a snail for company. I did not cycle the tank. I hope this is okay. I added new gravel but used water from another tank as well as decor and plants. I am hoping she makes it through the cycle. What would you suggest for water changes during this time? I figured with the horrible conditions she was in before, this is the best I can do. I haven't named her yet, I want to check out her personality.

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
8) Good for you for adopting another betta. It will have a much better home with you even if it is a 2.5 gallon tank. I'm sure it will be fine in your care. The only thing I know about cycling with fish is that you need to make large, maybe 50%?, water changes daily. Someone more knowledgable will no doubt reply soon and answer your questions. Let us know how it goes and as soon as you decide on a name we, of course, want to know that too.

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good for you to talk that person out of those little death chambers. I hate those little divided things...not only are the Bettas in inhumanely tiny areas, but they are stressed out from constantly seeing each other through the clear divided. And as for goldfish bowls I still do not get what is wrong with the people who make those things and sell them as housing for potentially six inch plus fish!! >

Well, I am glad you rescued a Betta. Just test the water daily while the tank is cycling. If the ammonia gets above .25 ppm, or the nitrites once you get them above .5 ppm, do a 25-50% water change, depending on how high they are. Close monitoring and a lot of water changes will be necessary, but given these I'm sure your girl will be just fine through the cycle.

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
She probably would have died in a day or two at the store in that cup. You saved her life and cycling her tank herself is far healthier than leaving in that cup to die. With daily water changes she'll be just fine. Use cycled filter media from another tank and it'll cycle even faster. They seem to sense it when you've saved them and she will reward you with love and gratitude. Females are so spunky but do make sure she is covered at ALL times. They are really good jumpers! Don't even turn your back for a second.
Congrats on your new baby!

P.S. We want pics! ;D

OP
S

smillermom

Reaction score
Thank you for your words of encouragement! She is zipping all over the tank today and is eating a few flakes of food. I puit a tall amazon sword in her tank but am going to take it out today to give her more swimming space. I think scarlet will be her name as her fins are a beautiful color. I have only had male Bettas in the past so this should be fun! I will post a pic later today!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome, Scarlet!!!!! My Cas especially is glad to see there are more gals making their way onto the forum.

You'll love her...the girls have such great personalities. Can't wait for pics!! ;D

lisa987

Reaction score
I have to agree with the bad review of Walmart's fish department. My Walmart usually has a completely incompetent man caring for their fish. They had a 2.5 gallon minI bow with 2 HUGE fish (I think oscars maybe? I'm no expert on species) in addition to all of their standard overcrowded, filthy tanks. The bettas are usually mostly dead, and a couple of weeks ago there were two male bettas in one dish with fin carnage all over. I was so angry and asked the man working over there why there were 2 in one dish, and he kind of fake laughed and said "hmm, I wonder how that happened?" even though it was obviously him because I see him there all the time. Then he wasn't going to do anything about it until I kept standing there and watching him, but I saw a few days later that they had both died. > I don't think he ever changes their water.

I wish Walmart would stop selling fish and just sell the supplies. I have read on here that a few Walmarts seem to take good care of their fish, but unfortunately I think that the majority don't.

Thanks for saving Scarlet! I bet she's so grateful for you!

OP
S

smillermom

Reaction score
I know what you mean. The man tending the department was very rude and actually thought it would be fun to puit 2 together, even advised a customer she could. I was thoroughly disgusted. I cannot bellieve also that they sell pacus and oscars as a 10 gallon fish. Pacus get huge and need massive tanks to be kept properly.

New Threads