Bacterial Problems In Tank? Help

1. L

Lex1 Initiate Member

This week I got 3 ADF from a friend. They have been doing pretty well from all I can tell. I woke up this morning and went check my tank as usual and noticed raised white dots on my frogs. From a quick google search it seems like a bacterial infection. I’ve been having problems with this in my tanks. My betta looks like he has fin rot also so something is majorly off.

What could be causing this bad bacteria? Do I need to change my filter media? Also how do I treat the frogs? Should I do a full tank treatment with my betta in it since he’s been having problems too or do they need to be quarantined? I’ll add a picture in case I got the diagnosis wrong. It’s not my frogs but they look the same. IMG_1557.JPG

2. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Best way to think of them is like human goosebumps. They come and go. There's probably an evolutionary or adaptive reason for them, but I don't know what it is. But anyways mine get them too. I believe it's utterly, totally normal.
    :)

3. OP
    OP
    L

Lex1 Initiate Member

Is it normal for all 3 to spontaneously get it though? I’m a bit overly paranoid because I’m new to frogs. I also just had the bacterial problem with my betta. What would be signs of any type of bacterial disease on the frogs if not the bumps?

4. bitseriously

I'm comfortable saying that your frog looks picture-perfect (to me), but I won't go so far as to pretend I know every disease out there. But I can tell you what I've seen on this and other forums, and presumably the frequency that things get raised here is broadly reflective of what occurs out there in home-tank-world.
    - Bloat
    - Not eating/emaciated
    - Chytrid
    - Physical injury/infection
    Your frog shows no signs of any of these issues.
    I have not seen anything in www world about bacterial skin diseases in adf that is consistent with your picture [if anyone else has, please chime in!!!]. You appear to be especially concerned about bacterial infection, is there a reason for this? Are you thinking that since your betta had this kind of problem, the conditions in your tank(s) lend themselves to your stock being vulnerable to it?
    FYI, have you read the adf care sheet here:
    Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs

Tank diseases rarely hit all members of a population at exactly the same time. It's more likely they're all responding to the same environment (or change in environment) at the same time. Turn down the temp in a room, and everyone gets goosebumps.

5. OP
    OP
    L

Lex1 Initiate Member

Yes I just went through treatment for fin rot with my betta. It happened before I got the frogs (only about 2-3 weeks earlier though) so I was worried I could be having more bacterial problems. I was wondering if maybe somehow it was transferred to my new tank. My betta just got switched to the 10 gallon and has a different, better filter from before but I did use the same gravel and plant.

The frogs have been eating and have put on more weight from when I got them and they’ve been active and not showing any typical signs of illness from what I read. Those white bumps just threw me off this morning. I’m going to keep an eye on them just in case but I think they’re okay.

I read the care sheet already but I just read through it again. Thank you for the help though. I rather be overly paranoid than miss something I could prevent :)

6. bitseriously

You're welcome! As a rule of thumb, fish and frogs are different enough creatures that diseases from one can't affect the other. Eg frogs can't get fin rot. However, keeping them in an unhealthy environment (which you don't appear to be doing :) ) would increase susceptibility of either to getting sick.

D'Oh!! I just realized that the pic in your first post isn't yours. But if yours look like that, they're doing great!

7. midna

midna Member Member

can you maybe take pictures of your frogs? i don't see anything wrong with the stock photo. my male frog was very pebbled like that (which is why i would call him "pebble"). it's just how they look sometimes, as bitseriously said.

8. OP
    OP
    L

Lex1 Initiate Member

IMG_1565.JPGView attachment 441211 IMG_1564.JPG

First two are my biggest guy Kermit. Last one is one of my smaller frogs. I think Kermit has it the worst though so if he’s okay the other two should be fine.

9. OP
    OP
    L

Lex1 Initiate Member

IMG_1562.JPG

One of them didn’t post

10. midna

midna Member Member

yep! totally normal :D
    i honestly think it means they're healthier... since you've been feeding them good. they could also just be adapting to their new environment like bitseriously said. what temperature is the tank at?

here's a photo of my old frog, looking very pebbly:

i'm sorry about your betta :( are you sure what he has is bacterial? has the treatment helped any?

11. OP
    OP
    L

Lex1 Initiate Member

Yes I’m sure it was bacterial. He was losing his fins day by day with black spots on other parts of his fin. I treated him and he seems to be doing better. He was in a smaller 6.5 gallon and the filter on it was awful so I think that’s what caused it.

My tank is kept a little warmer at 79 degrees.

12. midna

midna Member Member

oh man :( i'm glad he's getting better now!

that's not too cold then, that's a perfect temperature.