Bacterial Infection Treatment Plan

Sorg67

I have a Panda Cory that seems to be having a swim bladder problem. A few weeks ago, he was on his back. I thought he was dead, but then he took off and seemed to swim fine. But when he stops swimming, he has difficulty maintaining his orientation in the water.

I have read a few threads about others who have had Cories behaving in the same way. The consensus seems to be a bacterial infection causing swim bladder issues.

This is one of three surviving Cories from an original group of eight. My thread about these deaths suggested a bacterial infection so it seems to fit that may be the problem here.

These Cories are in a tank with ECO Complete substrate which is rough. I have set up another tank with a sand substrate and am planning to transfer the Cories to this tank in the hope that it will be a better environment.

My existing tank has zero ammonia and nitrite. Currently Nitrates less than 5 ppm. Just did a 40% WC. Previous Nitrates between 5 and 10 ppm. Temperature is about 77. I have removed the heater from this tank and that is as low as it will go. The new tank is in the same room but temp is a little lower - about 76. I may be able to get it down to 75 or 74 by moving it to the other side of the room.

I was planning to move all three survivors to the new tank, but I am considering moving just the sick one and using the new tank as a QT tank. I have about a 1 ppm per 24 hours cycle in the new tank which I think will be plenty for all three Cories. But I am thinking that if I move just the sick one and treat it with antibiotics, I will kill the cycle. I suppose I would then use fish-in cycle procedures to rebuild the cycle. Maybe add one Cory at a time.

So, after than long rant, my question is; what do you think about my plan?

1. Move new tank to cooler part of the room
2. Heat new tank to match temp of existing tanks
3. Move just the sick Cory to the new tank
4. Let the tank temp drop
5. Treat with antibiotic
6. Use fish-in protocols to manage ammonia if antibiotics kill cycle

mattgirl
John58ford
PascalKrypt
Corydork
FinalFins
A201

mattgirl

I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your Panda corys. I can't be of much help when it comes to treating illnesses but since you think you lost most of them to what some think may be bacterial I feel if that is the case and another one is showing the same symptoms all of the ones you have left need to be treated as though they are harboring what ever it is.

Since you have become so adept at cycling a tank I don't think you need be concerned about losing your cycle should you choose to medicate them in a cycled tank. I would treat all of the 3 remaining ones at the same time though.

Sorg67

I am also a bit worried about catching the Cories. The tank is moderately planted, has a large rock and a piece of driftwood. I am considering coordinating catching the Cories with a heavy clean and re-scape. Remove the rock, driftwood and some of the plants. Thinking I will leave the rooted plants alone and remove just the Anubias. Hopefully it will be easier to catch them and stress them less if they have fewer places to hide.

John58ford

Which antibiotics? Some are more likely to kill the cycle than others. I have used a couple and gotten away with it without kicking the cycle, though I haven't done it in a younger tank than 5 weeks using some seeded material mixed with the new.

As far as success with the meds treating the disease/illness, I don't have a great track record (about 50/50). What I have noticed is that you do want a tank with no/little absorbing material (wood/plants) to get the meds into the fish. I have a theory right now that allot of the meds we are using in the water are to large on the molecular level to be absorbed the way we think they can, but I wouldn't avoid treatment based on that. I have used a shallow bath method with more concentrated meds before rinsing the pan into the tank a couple times now but I can't say it's doing any better than dumping it straight into the tank.

Good luck with your treatment, I hope you manage to cure your cory. Sick fish are a bummer.

Sorg67

I am open to suggestions on the antibiotic. I have not done any research on that yet.

I captured the sick one and transferred him to the new tank. I am wondering if he is starving. I seems to have trouble finding food. I am thinking that perhaps by himself he will have an easier time finding food. He looks exhausted. Tries to look for food for a while and then lies on his side or back for a while.

Thinking that I might wait to treat with antibiotic and see if some alone time and easier food access might help.

Also, this tank is over-filtered - HOB and sponge. Turned the HOB off for now. Think the sponge will be fine with one fish. And I think less water movement will be better for him. May put a different filter in for more gentle flow. Maybe a bigger sponge than what I have. But I think this will be good enough for now.

AvalancheDave

There might be a fish vet near you. There are several in FL though I don't have them memorized.

AvalancheDave

This site is far from complete though:

fishvets.org | Home | American Association of Fish Veterinarians

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses
Replies
Views
Angelfishfinatic
Replies
Views