Bacterial Infection Or Fungus?

  1. Jdsurfer Initiate Member

    Hi everyone,

    So i currently have 5 male cherry barbs, 3 bronze corydoras, and a golden panchax pair in my planted 20 gallon. Yesterday whilst doing a head count i noticed that one was missing. After searching amongst my driftwood, i pulled off my sponge around the filter inlet and found the smallest barb wedged in there. He had discolouration, lesions, and struggled to stay bouyant. I didn't have much hope for him, however, this morning i noticed he is swimming relatively normal again, he ate a small amount when fed, and isn't acting particularly strange although i did notice one occurence of a spasm.

    I also noticed that the largest lesion now has white (fungus? Skin or slime coat?) around it. He had a small, white, bump thing on his caudal fin which has now gone stringy, but i don't see any fungus around the mouth or gills so not sure if it's cottonmouth or ich.
    I was wondering if the stress would have made him susceptible to a bacterial or fungal infection of some sort and if it'd be contagious.

    My water parameters are:

    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 20 (water change yesterday)
    pH: 7.3
    Temperature: 25 C

    Thanks in advance for any help

    IMG_20180308_102302.jpg IMG_20180308_102302.jpg 15204697464201729605370.jpg
  2. Oliver T. Member Member

    defitnetly looks like a fungus get some commercial remedy

  3. Jdsurfer Initiate Member

    Will it contract to the other fish if left untreated? His colouration has returned and swimming behaviour has returned to normal as well. It's just i won't be able to get a treatment until tomorrow at least.
  4. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

    Its a bacterial infection, and you need to use antibiotics.

    Fungus dosent make fish sick, fish get bacterial infections from poor water quality or stress, shipping, overcrowding, ect ect.
    Fish have blood, and just like in nature fungus breaks down only DEAD TISSUE
    Bacteria can be a pathogen and attack healthy fish, and yes it can spread thru the tank

  5. Jdsurfer Initiate Member

    Do you mind if i ask what has led you to the conclusion of bacterial infection? Not trying to challenge your opinion whatsoever, I'd just like to understand.

    After removing the fish from the filter inlet there were visible lesions on the site where the white stuff is now, so would that not point to fungus breaking down the tissue around the lesion?

    What treatment would you advise i purchase for this infection? I can go get it today.
  6. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

    Ten years of experiance is what led me to believe its bacteria.
    I've learned from people on this very forum, @junebug that fish dont get fungus infections....except maybe minor tail rot.

    I didn't read the part about the fish being stuck in the filter outlet, that definately could cause that, your right. But Nonetheless if you let the fish get sick and die with bacterial infection in the main tank there is a chance it could spread to others, mostly if they are stressed out like from being recently purchased or moved, water quality, ect ect.

    If your looking for something in a bath you can find locally, maracyn plus, maracyn 2, triple sulfa, and E.M Erythomycin can all be found at petsmart/petco and should work pretty well, but it goes on a case by case basis, how bad off the fish is.
    Just a common mis-conception in the aquarium trade hobby that people think fish get "fungus" infections, when in reality 99% of these infections are bacteria, the only time a fish would get a fungus infection is if the water is horribly dirty and the fish is extrememly weak. I have put sticks, leaves, decomposing logs into my tanks to make them look more natural quite a few times, you could literally see the mould (fungi) and decomposing mushroom on the leaves and logs, it never once made my fish get a fungus infection, lol.