Bacterial Bloom.....

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by vin, Apr 4, 2006.

1. vinWell Known MemberMember

I've been experiencing what appears to be a bit of a bacteria bloom over the past couple of weeks after changing my filter bag (charcoal, not media pad) that won't seem to discipate, even with my weekly water change and vacuum. No odor in the water.

Water parameters are fine - pH - 7.0, Ammonia - 0, Nitrites - 0, Nitrates - >5 <10.

Fish are all acting normal and eating fine.

It should have cleared up by now. Any suggestions?

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

What are you using to test your water? The only thing that I could think of is that your tests aren't accurate and you do have ammonia readings, in other words your tank is doing a mini cycle which often goes along with a bacterial bloom.

3. vinWell Known MemberMember

AP liquid master test....My test kit readings are dead on. I test weekly.

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

OK then...that's not your problem! :p Sorry, I don't know what to tell you now, your tank seems perfect. ???

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

When you changed your filter bag you lost a little of your beneficial bacteria. Your tank is just trying to catch up. My suggestion is to do your normal water change but skip a gravel vacuum. By skipping one gravel vacuum you won't be pulling more bacteria out, this will help your tank catch up, don't rinse your filter until it clears up. HTH
    Carol

6. vinWell Known MemberMember

Thanks. I actually tested the water again yesterday afternoon and the parameters are perfect. pH - 7.0, Ammonia - 0, Nitrites - 0, Nitrates - >5 <10. I decided to do another water change even though I did one over the weekend and figured it wouldn't hurt....What I noticed was that the water in the bucket (which is white) had a slight green tint to it that I hadn't seen before and now I'm beginning to think that I have a bit of a suspended algae problem. Which I know is very difficult to get rid of.

I am not near any windows where sunlight directly hits the tank.

Any suggestions?

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Yes the water changes will help, and it sounds like the bacteria is catching up nicely. just keep up the water changes as theres very little beneficial bacteria in the water column itself.
    Carol

8. vinWell Known MemberMember

Will do! Thanks.

9. vinWell Known MemberMember

Got through it. All clear. It just seemed to take a bit longer than I thought it would have.

10. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Great!!! Sometimes it just takes sticking to a regimen long enough for it to work.
    Carol