Bacterial bloom - INSANE!

boneboy

Hey guys.
I’ve got this beautiful 20g tank and currently, the only thing in there is this beautifulyoung platinum betta named Kaida. He’s a sweetheart. I recently rescaped the tank (using half the leftover water and whatnot) and I’ve never had a problem with bacterial blooms, or algae, and this tank had been running for a few months now.
And then I used gold vine driftwood.
One of my tanks is fine. The other two, the two that I’d put gold vine in, after a few weeks, have had a MASSIVE bacterial bloom. The small one isn’t so bad because I was able to boil the wood for longer, but WOW. I’ve attached photos of the tank normal, and a photo of the tank after going two days without a water change

My current courses of action trying to clear this up has been dosing Seachem stability still the advice of my fish shop, big water changes quite often, some carbon filter pads, more surface agitation (RIP to my red root floaters) and making sure I trim and take care of any dying plants. But it’s got so much worse over two days without a water change!! I don’t have the money to drop on a UV steriliser... what else can I do? I really don’t want to rip my tank apart.

Attachments

• CCF7F93B-FEB7-4EA9-B58E-741DA23B6DC2.png
    CCF7F93B-FEB7-4EA9-B58E-741DA23B6DC2.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 47037F8D-0A56-40C3-8B15-675A896B0554.jpeg
    47037F8D-0A56-40C3-8B15-675A896B0554.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 49

Sauceboat

It’ll go away with 25-30% water changes every other day for a week or two. I had a bloom as bad as that if not worse. Couldn’t even see any hardscape. Just give your tank time.

boneboy

It’ll go away with 25-30% water changes every other day for a week or two. I had a bloom as bad as that if not worse. Couldn’t even see any hardscape. Just give your tank time.
Time seems to be the most common remedy, so I suppose I’ll have to. It’s just a shame because I was this close to finally buying a few dwarf rasbora to put in my tank and then this happened!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Alien
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
Replies