bacterial bloom happens once every week?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Man of Straw, Apr 2, 2010.

1. M

Man of Straw New Member Member

ill add my questions on this good bacteria bloom if you guys don't mind. I’ve had a 125 big catfish tank for around 4 year. Took one year off and now turned it into a community 125. Changed the gravel to sand substrate and run two mairneland 350 over the back filters and a wet dry. Its been running for four months and just recently have been developing a white film on the sides of my tank. It is not any sort of algae it is indeed good bacteria. From what I understand with spikes in the ammonia nitrite and nitrates the good bacteria blooms and creates as much surface area as possible to neutralize it. I haven’t figured out what causes these high spikes but I am under the impression that if these blooms happen overnight (you wipe it off one day and its back the next) there is something wrong with your tanks stability. My bloom happens once every week or so. My questions are is this sign of my tank not fully completing the nitrogen cycle? Is there anything I can add to quicken the process? I do a 15% water change every three days and i only feed once a week and turn off all filtration while i watch them eat. thanks

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    Hope you don't mind, I moved your question to a thread of it's own.
    It makes things less confusing.

The other thread was pretty old and your question might not get the attention it deserves in someone else's thread.

Good luck!

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Man and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Here is a link on bacterial blooms that you may find helpful:

I hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

4. w

w_boughner Valued Member Member

i had the same thing with my tank. i put the bacteria stones in the tank behind the decorations and doubled the carbon in the fither and put another carbon bag in the tank with the bacteria stones for good measure and no more blooms. i did this for about a month. I still keep the stones in the tank and double carbon in the filter.

and when you do a wc do you let the new water sit for a couple days to alow clorine to evaporate that will also help

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fl. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice