Bacteria or Micro Bubbles?

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Jockamo, Jul 22, 2015.

1. J

Jockamo New Member Member

Hi, new to the forum and about a year into fish keeping.

I have two tanks. One 20 gallon that has been going for about a year now and a 2 month old 75 Gallon. I thought I had a micro bubbles issue in the 20 gallon. In the 75 gallon the water appears the same. Here is the picture:

IMG_20150721_073800.jpg

The picture is about 15 minutes after turning the canister filter off. The bubbles like structures seem to join to form longer strains when the water is still. They don't float to the top, just stay suspended. With the filter moving the water they appear to be consistently dispersed throughout the tank. The water in both tanks is fine. 0,0,30. The tanks have different filters and substrate. The Tetras in the 75 moved from the 20 and don't seemed to be bothered. This morning I tried my city water in a glass and it doesn't appear to have the same look.
    Can anyone help me out?

2. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Could just be plain old dust, suspended in the water.Have you tried using a filter polishing pad .

3. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Did you recently add driftwood? Sometimes it develops a white/greyish hair like fuzz that will eventually disappear, can sometimes detach and float around, and sometimes fish and inverts will eat it as well.

4. OP
    OP
    J

I had two different fluval 406's(returned for impeller buzzing) that had the polishing pads installed. The Hydor canister I'm using now( whisper quite) has a thick white pad in the top.

No driftwood. There are a couple small grass plants and a couple fake plants in the 75 now. The plan is for a moderately planted tank. Just trying to clear this up first.

Maybe I should try one of the clarifiers? We have never needed any additives except for prime. Both tanks get water changes( about 25%) every 10 days or so.

5. OP
    OP
    J

Well, clarity seem to clear up about 80% of the specks. In exchange I have a bunch of these translucent flakes floating around. At least I can scoop those with the fish net. The canister was full of them.
    The 20g is totally clear without the flakes.

Is that a byproduct of clarity?

6. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

I came across the same problem just recently. It seems like there are billions of micro bubbles. There are not strings though, and I haven't had any water murk problems since I started the tank in February. Do you think that will work for me too? And exactly what did you use?

P.S. I have added a small stick into my aquarium not to long ago, but I had boiled it thoroughly and this it's much to small to cause so much murk. My water looks the same as yours in the picture.

7. OP
    OP
    J

Seachem makes a product called clarity. I think Aqueons version is called water clarifier. Your LFS should sell either or both.
    In any case it did clear my water but now I'm starting to see it again. Much less then before. That fact that these products worked for me indicates it is indeed particles and not bubbles. They work by bonding small particles together to either sink or get trapped in the filter.

8. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

What is in your tank and what are you feeding?

9. mg13

Interesting, thank you! I'll try it as soon as I can get the funds... :) :;th

You can find the whole stock list on my bio page and I feed TetraPro Goldfish crisps.

and I also have a bunch, and I mean a BUNCH of guppy fry swimming around. I'm going to give them to petco as soon as they are big enough. Because I have such a gradual change, 3 months to one month to a few weeks, they are not getting eaten, so they are kind of getting a lot. As soon as I have my tank stocked to what I want it I plant to hand over the females too, so I don't over stock again.

And another thing, my Anacharias and "grassy plant," are really big now, I'll post a picture... give me a minute.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  10. OP
    OP
    J

In my 75g I have 13 tetras a pleco and a few corys. The food is something consistent between the two tanks that I hadn't thought of. Just some brand of micro pellets and some larger sinking pellets for the corys.

11. mg13

75 gallons! 0.0

by the way, welcome to Fishlore! Why don't you fill out the bio page so we can see better what you have? :)

my tank:

IMG_8243.JPG

maybe it's a plant overload?

12. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks for the welcome. I will look into the bio page when I get in front of a computer. The 75 is relatively fresh so things seem to be ever changing at the moment. Waiting for the driftwood to soak up water at the moment. My issues predate the plants and wood.

13. mg13

you recently added the driftwood? you should posts pictures! when you can of course.

14. OP
    OP
    J

Will do.
    I wonder if it's the food creating my issues. Did you change food recently?

15. mg13

me? no, i've had the same food since i started.. i really think it has something to do with my plants... or maybe the fry.

16. OP
    OP
    J

Do artificial plant deteriorate over time? I have some plastic and some silk plants that have spent time in both tanks.

17. OP
    OP
    J

I'm also getting this buildup of white flaky stuff on the silicon and some other stationary pieces in the aquarium.

18. OP
    OP
    J

Dust from ceramic bio rings? I was doing something in the filter and poured some water into a bowl when I noticed the same specks as I see in the tank. I can't seem to get rid of this stuff. Changing to matrix now to see if that's the root cause.

19. mg13

ok, my petco doesn't have the seachem clarity, but my petsmart does.. what about this:

it's Aqueon Water Clarifier. Anyone have any experience with this product? I like to buy from petco more than petsmart so maybe this will work.

Really anyone? @Flowingfins? @Anders247? @BornThisWayBettas? you guys know anyone who might have tried it?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  20. NinjaTetra

NinjaTetra Well Known Member Member

In my experience with Aqueon products, things tend to work... I don't know anyone who has used that specific product that I know of. If petco has a SeaChem brand of a similar product, I'd say go with that.

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice