Bacteria Maybe?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lefky, Apr 15, 2019.

1. LefkyValued MemberMember

Over the course of about a week or so, the gravel in the tank is starting to get a yellow covering over it. Also my fake plants are getting discolored. Pictures below

Attached Files:

2. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Its algae, we can’t see bacteria without a microscope :p

3. LefkyValued MemberMember

Is it normal for a tank to have it on the gravel? Cause it looks weird lol

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Congratulations, you have diatoms (brown algae). These are usually present in newer tanks. May I ask what your feeding, lighting, and water change schedule is? Also, how old is the tank?

5. PredatorAquaticKeeperNew MemberMember

Congrats, again! That is the pain of having white substrate. I went through the same thing with my 100g filled with white substrate. How old is your tank? As mentioned above, brown algae is usually seen more often in newer tanks. Also consider your lighting and water temp. All these could factor into the growth of it.

I've had success in managing the diatoms with a handful of Nerite snails, as well as ramshorn snails. Also, I've added some pretty decent sized anubias plants
    Not sure if that had anything to do with its growth, but I know the snails do an amazing job!

6. LefkyValued MemberMember

The lighting I use came with the tank so I am not sure but the tank is a 20g TopFin from petsmart. I have had the tank for about a month and a half which is why the water is a milky white which I did some research on about bacterial bloom. I have a live Amazon Swords plant that I put in just yesterday giving it root tablets. I have 4 corys, 1 angelfish, 1 hatchetfish (others sadly died), and 4 neon tetras. I am planning on adding much more live plants and changing the fish to be: 4 corys, 6 cherry barbs and 1 paradise fish. The temp is around 78-82F. I feed the fish flakes and sinking pellets for the corys which they devour. I change the water 15-20% weekly adding room temp water with a dechlorinator added.

7. PredatorAquaticKeeperNew MemberMember

Try using some stress-zyme (api) or stabilize (seachem) whenever you do your water changes or add another fish. This will add beneficial bacteria to your tank that will help clear up the bacterial bloom. The fact that you probably have that is a good sign your tank is in the process of cycling.

8. LefkyValued MemberMember

I was planning on adding in new fish in the next week or so. Thank you for the help!

9. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

You should test your water and make sure the tank is cycled before you put more fish in it....

10. LefkyValued MemberMember

I have been testing the water weekly and it has been constant for the past month with 0 nitrates and nitrites, 7.5 PH and I am unable to test ammonia.

11. FahnFishlore VIPMember

That's the most important thing to test for lol, sounds like you're using those unreliable strips...

You always get 0 nitrites and nitrates in the beginning because your bacteria that convert those from ammonia haven't established a big enough colony yet. Definitely get your ammonia tested.

12. LefkyValued MemberMember

Is there an ammonia test that you recommend? Reliable and not too expensive?

13. FahnFishlore VIPMember

API's liquid test kit, hands down. Really, you'd be better off just getting their Master Freshwater Kit. It's a bit spendy but lasts forever and is much more accurate and reliable than strips.

14. LefkyValued MemberMember

Alright I will look into it thank you! When do you suggest I add in more fish?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice