Bacteria infection

solidsnake85

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My black Betta had this white huge bump on this forehead. Can anyone diagnose what type of infections is that before I start using OTC meds.

The white bump doesn't look cotton so it's not fungus(to my knowledge I treated fungus before and this infection doesn't look cotton) it also raises up the scales unlike fungus attaches on the body.

Barebottom 2.5 gallon filter un-cycle tank, water changes every week with every other day vacuum.
140.jpg

141.jpg

142.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

The infection area looks like this fish. notice how the scale are raised up.
145.jpg

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore!!
Aww...I'm sorry about your Betta.
Can you post your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If you could fill in your aquarium information, it'll help the members without having to ask a bunch of questions.
You can find it under My Settings at the top left.

Thanks!

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Will you please answer these questions first.It's hard to diagnose a fish disease sometimes based on a picture:Is the fish exhibiting flashing, darting, rapid swimming, spots on body, or white stringy material? Does the fish have small white pustules mostly in the head area, or bead-like, similar in shape pustules mostly on body areaDoes the fish have small white pustules (pimple-like) on skin and fins, the pustules being consistent in size and shape?Does the fish have visible parasites (worms, gill flukes, leeches, etc.) or white spots on the body of the fish? Does the fish have greyish white patches or tufts in open wounds on fins, tail or body areas that have been damaged?Does the fish have white greyish stringy material cover most of the body, or white or grey patches?You can just answer yes or no.

Last edited:

solidsnake85

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My tank size is 2.5 gallon and filled with java moss. The water temp is always 80(+/- 1) degrees. I do use salt a prevention. This betta has no tank-mates.

Water's pH is 7, city water and the tests for the water was 1/0/0 at time of the infection.

I don't constantly test my un-cycle tanks as their frequent 95% weekly water changes keeps the ammonia down. The patterms for my uncycle tanks are 3/0/0 at the end of each week.

The tank he was in was a quarantine tank i use for keeping new fishes. He only been in that tank for about a month before he develop this infection.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is that 3 ammonia? That's way too high. If you're going to keep uncycled tanks, I'd suggest at least every other day water changes.
With swings like that, 0 to 3 to 0 and back up again, sadly, it's doing damage to his immune system and organs.

I'm sorry, I can't say exactly what's wrong with him.
First, I would try keeping an ammonia level at a constant 0 through water changes and see if theres any improvement.

solidsnake85

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is the fish exhibiting flashing, darting, rapid swimming, spots on body, or white stringy material?

No, swims nominal like my other fishes, still flares.

Does the fish have small white pustules mostly in the head area, or bead-like, similar in shape pustules mostly on body area Does the fish have small white pustules (pimple-like) on skin and fins, the pustules being consistent in size and shape?

No, nothing to what i see see instead of bump with white cloud on the head.

Does the fish have visible parasites (worms, gill flukes, leeches, etc.) or white spots on the body of the fish?

No, previous owner told me he had ick a few months back.

Does the fish have greyish white patches or tufts in open wounds on fins, tail or body areas that have been damaged?

No

Does the fish have white greyish stringy material cover most of the body, or white or grey patches?

No

thats what puzzling me. I been taking care of Betta for over 10 years now and this fish the on thing i can't figure out whats wrong with.

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmmmm.....That puts a lot of possible diseases out of the picture.I know this isn't fungal or parasitic.This has me stumped.I have never seen a case like this before.Let me do some research to see if anybody has even had a case like this before.

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As far as I know nobody else has had a fish with a disease like this.I can't find a disease with any of these symptons but I'm not going to give up

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm currently staying with my brother and my sister in law, and her betta has a similar thing! It's a lump under his mouth (if he had lips, it would be on there) with a small white dot in the center. She's tried treating with bettafix with no results. I thought it might be a parasite, but maybe not after all
He's pretty lethargic and I think his fins are clamping too. I hope someone figures out what this is!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom